Windows WMI/EventLog/Firewall not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all! Maybe there is an easier way outta this one other than the dreaded reinstallation. Not sure whether a trojo or onecare did a nasty on this old Sony. Simply the first condition was the OneCare was not up, then noted that the firewall was off. Could not reinstall OneCare nor start the firewall. Unistalled Onecare. Added AVG. Somehow got the machine to where I could manually start the firewall through security center only. Not FULLY functional on network, although does function somewhat on it's own as it's own machine. Did all the Fire Wall/ICS restart attempts ; netsh winsock reset, clean junk etc. Event log won't start - error 1501 and WMI error 1068. Running XP2 home. Think I may try to just overlay XPPro but that may not erradicate all! Any ideas?

"Event log won't start ":

From Windows IT Pro:
A. If when you try and start the Event log service you get error 1501, unable to open Event log files this is usually caused by one of two things

* The event log files are missing
* The event log files have read only set on them

The event log files are stored in the %systemroot%\system32\config and are named appevent.evt, secevent.evt and sysevent.evt. If any files are missing try copying from another machine and if the read only attribute is set remove via Explorer.

It is possible to move the event log files and to check you are looking in the correct place check the registry entries:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\File
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Security\File
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\File

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services> right click on WMI> Properties> set WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) to "Manual" and stop the service if it is running until we get the Dependencies going.

Click on Dependency tab> note WMI needs to have Remote Procedure Call (RPC) running in order for it to run.

Scroll to RPC (careful- several 'look-alike' Services)> right click> Properties> Set Startup mode to Automatic> Start the Service.

Once done, go back to WMI> change Start up to Automatic and Start the Service.

"Think I may try to just overlay XPPro" NO. You shouldn't need to do that.
That will handle these two problems.

RPC is a key Service to many others. Once it's set up correctly, I think you'll find tthe problems will fall away.

That worked! Now to turn the search comapnion off and get the two "updates" to stop failing. I hate u-soft! Thanks again .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back