Windows XP - Blue screen (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNWBRDR

I have a problem with another notebook.
It also crashes from time to time after having a blue screen.

This is what I have from whitin the last three Save Dumps:

0x0000007a (0xc02017d4, 0xc000000e, 0x805f593d, 0x02d11860)
0x0000007a (0xe163744c, 0xc000000e, 0xbd1b3000, 0x07780880)
0x0000007a (0xc0201670, 0xc000000e, 0x8059cabc, 0x0254d860)

Can you find the cause with this information?

Will run the memtest now.

Thanks for your reaction.

MemTest86 hanged on 50%, had to reboot.

DriveDiagnostics:
-------------------------

There is a FUJITSU drive in it, but I can't use FUJITSU HDD diagnotisc tool, drive isn't supported I guess. Can't select it, but I can see it.

Drivers:
-----------

Have to check if all drivers are uptodate, but can't connect the notebook to the Internet for now.

CheckDisk:
-----------------

Did this scan and no damaged sectors were found.

System Specs:
-----------------------

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (2002)

Intel Pentium III-processor
1.00GHz
120 MB RAM

I didn't update my profile because it isn't my notebook, so that wouldn't be correct information.

I'd say Ram faulty

But because your Ram is under spec for Windows Xp (recommended 512Meg by MS now)
And because it is a 1Ghz (very slow)
I would suspect that investing money into this laptop, would not be beneficial (ie something else may go!)

If you are determined, start by testing with known good ram, and to save the reply, either buy the Ram, or get a Computer shop to look at it (ie just like me, they have an assortment of Ram cards)

Your choice

Then I'll bring this notebook in as well tomorow to check the RAM.

Besides the blue screens, the notebook works just fine. So I think it's worth trying to solve this problem.

Thanks for the help.

Also check on eBay how much your computer is worth (working!)
Don't pay a service guy close (or above!) that
I'm betting it's very cheap with those specs

Actually I think Windows Xp install requires minimum 256Meg of ram

Just ran the memtest again (almost done in fact), now it didn't hang and no errors were found.

You thought the problem had something to do with the RAM, was it only based on the fact this test hanged the first time? With this new information it could be something else?

And the fact this notebook has only 120 MB of RAM, I find it funny too it all works that good.
But this notebook has been working for 10 years or so whitout any problems I think.
Never had to do any hard tasks off course, just some browsing, word, excel etc.

Windows Xp will run with 120Meg of Ram
I got real determined once, and ran it on 64Meg of ram (only installed ! )

But... It will not install on 120Meg of Ram
You need minimum 256Meg (preferred 512Meg)
Then you can throw the other ram card(s) away !

MemTest scanned a third time (forgot to stop it) and again no errors were found.

So could you please answer my previous question, I think you overlooked it.

"You thought the problem had something to do with the RAM, was it only based on the fact this test hanged the first time? With this new information it could be something else?"

MemTest86 hanged on 50%, had to reboot.
Basically. Yes
Then about 1 Hour later
Just ran the memtest again (almost done in fact), now it didn't hang and no errors were found.

You thought the problem had something to do with the RAM, was it only based on the fact this test hanged the first time?
Memtest should be run for 7 Passes
Now because it's 120Meg of Ram, I suppose it's possible that it only took an hour
(To download Memtest; Create a BootCD; Run Memtest for 7 Passes, although not finished)
I've then weighed up what it could be (even with Memtest not showing any errors)
And agreed that 120Meg of Ram is not enough and advised to purchase ideally 512Meg of Ram (or 256Meg) also you will need to confirm what the maximum amount of Ram that can be mounted in one slot (through the computer's manual)

Yes it can still be faulty Ram
Yes the Ram is too low

I don't agree with you there isn't enough RAM.
It worked for over 10 years with this ammount of RAM whitout any problems, so why should there be more RAM? Because Microsoft tells it?
And you also said it is impossible to install Windows XP with only 120 MB, that is incorrect. It did install, can't say more.

If I let MemTest run for 7 passes and no errors occur, is the RAM (quality, not quantity) ok then?

I haven't had a blue screen since I posted my first message here, strange thing.
The only thing that changed was that I took out my uncle's wireless networkcard (via USB). Could this be the cause if it isn't the RAM? Or doesn't that has anything to do with it?

ps: Please don't take my post the wrong way, I am very thankful you want to help me. I just don't agree I need more RAM.

Windows Xp will run with 120Meg of Ram
I got real determined once, and ran it on 64Meg of ram (only installed ! )

But... It will not install on 120Meg of Ram
You need minimum 256Meg (preferred 512Meg)
Then you can throw the other ram card(s) away !

Read above

Yes I agree it can be the wireless card, but we have been stuck on me proving my point. Remember I ran Xp on 64Meg !
BUT I couldn't install Windows on 64Meg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back