Windows XP BSOD everytime building Ferret index

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing some Ruby on Rails development on my Windows XP box. I'm using a plugin for Ferret which is an index for Full Text Searching and have been using this without any OS trouble for months.

But this past week whenever I try and rebuild this search index I get a crash and BSOD in the middle of it. I've tried testing the memory with memtest86 (came up clean) and upgrading the video card driver. I was optimistic that yesterday was going to work because it got much further in the indexing than it had before. In fact by the size of the index it built it may have even completed or gotten mostly there.. I can't say for sure. But still I woke up to a BSOD this morning.

The dump message is: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I'm attaching the dumpfile.. hopefully someone here knows what to make of it? I'd appreciate any help and education on this topic! This is the first time I've had a Blue Screen in 3 or 4 years using this pc.

Thanks in advance.

Your minidump error is 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

It only gave a core Windows driver as the culprit and that is too general to be of any help. Since corrupted memory is the most common reason (though certainly not the only) for these errors my question is, how many Passes did you run Memtest?

Your minidump error is 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

It only gave a core Windows driver as the culprit and that is too general to be of any help. Since corrupted memory is the most common reason (though certainly not the only) for these errors my question is, how many Passes did you run Memtest?

I basically had it running unwatched for 9 hours yesterday. I don't remember how many passes but whenever I checked it was showing zero errors. How many passes should it be run for?

What would you suggest I do next?

Have you updated any sofware/drivers lately? memtest should be run a minimum of 7 Pasese but I am sure you met that standard.

Attach more minidumps.

Have you updated any sofware/drivers lately? memtest should be run a minimum of 7 Pasese but I am sure you met that standard.

Attach more minidumps.

i dont think i've updated drivers recently unless windows update did some.... some new peripheral hardware i dont think should play a factor... wifi router and new usb printer.

other software.... i dont think anything major. i thought maybe it was kasspersky internet security (got that with the router).. tried removing that but it didnt fix the problem.

i'm attaching more minidumps per your request. hmm looking in the folder i guess these do go back to before this week as well...

thanks again for the help.

3 minidump errors are 0xEA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

In your case all three cited nv4_mini.sys which is an Nvidia miniport driver for video adapters.

2 minidump errors are 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

In both dump files the driver klif.sys was cited as the culprit which belongs to Kaspersky. Many, many people have issues with this driver. I would say it is quite possible Kaspersky has remnants left on your system even though you attempted to remove it.

I reinstalled Kaspersky so that I could remove it properly this time. First I had to uninstall AVG and clear registry of its records so that I could reinstall Kaspersky....

After removing KIS, re-built that full-text index with no BSOD... Thanks so much for your help Route44!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back