Windows XP doesnt work with any 3d programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesurvivor190

A couple of days ago, i started Modern warfare 2. As usual, the normal black screen came up. After a few minutes, i got annoyed and started clicking my mouse repeatedly. Then, the Modern warfare 2 title showed up, but it was all pixelated. My computer promptly crashed on me. I tried all my other games: Counter Strike 1.6, Half life 1, COD4. But they all didnt work. Also, when i tested my directx 9.oc, the cubes freeze, spin super fast, then freeze, and then my computer crashed. I updated my drivers, tried trouble shooting etc. etc. but nothing works. Also, the screen sometimes have these weird pixels popping up and stuff. Its not a moniter problem, because i changed the problem. Also, everything else except the 3d and abode programs work. Sometimes in abode pdf, the screen will seem to blue screen, except there are some pixelated numbers, also, i can still see the taskbar.
My computer specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service pack 2
2 gigibytes ddr2 ram
nvidia geforce 8600 gt

This sounds very much like what is called artifacting. It is caused primarily by either a) a heat issue affecting your video card or b) the video card itself is dying and no amount of updated drivers will help.

Speaking from my own experience I began getting artifacts first in gaming but otherwise no issues. But as time went I was getting artifacting at different times doing different things. The card eventually died.

1. Check the fan on your card to see if the fan is working.

2. Open the side of your case, get a small fan and on its lowest setting blow the air into your case. Then try playing Modern Warfare 2. We're trying to test for possible heat issues under a load.

* What are the results?

You should backup all your stuff and then
1) Upgrade to SP3
2) Run Windows Update, click Custom and make sure all hardware optional updates are installed

then post back if problem still occurs but you need to update first

wait a second. um... what if i dont want to install service pack 3. Sorry, me and another friend have had awful experiences with it. Both of our computers crashed after it was installed and they never worked ever again.

Oh, another thing you might want to know. For a couple of weeks, my computer has been making some huge grinding sounds. like, you know that radiation effect in video games? it was like that.

Another thing that might be helpful, for a couple of weeks, the computer was making some grinding noises. And, this is a custom built PC, built by a friend.

As LookinAround has said: Back up all your stuff -- NOW. Grinding is not a good sign. Where is the noise coming from and when does it occur?

um... its not happening now. Usually, it was when it was under a lot of load. For example, when i am playing games or doing something that took a lot of cpu.

wait a second. um... what if i dont want to install service pack 3. Sorry, me and another friend have had awful experiences with it. Both of our computers crashed after it was installed and they never worked ever again.

How long ago?
1) SP3 has been out for awhile now. The issues have been fixed (to my knowledge)
2) MS is about to stop providing fixes for SP2. You'll need SP3 to get further updates

3) As i just see the recent posts and as Route44 says.. backup NOW! Those grinding noises are not a good sign!

Wait, how am i going to backup anything? All i have is 1 2gb usb and i have like 100 gb of files. Im not going to tell you what they are. They are private. Also, id like a way to fix my pc. I dont have much money and wouldnt want to build a new one.
Also, i downloaded sp3 on my netbook like 1 month ago. I actually didnt want to download, automatic updates downloaded it. My friend downloaded it 2 weeks ago.

Is the noise coming from the cpu or your harddrive or your video card? Take all of your important info and burn to CDs/DVDs and also transfer to flash drives.

We don't have any need to know what they are. This is to protect you.

Another thing. You know the weird flickering pixels i mentioned? its not really pixels, but these little flickering black lines. like hairs. Also, if i reboot my PC, they go away.

Still sounds like artifacting.

Take off your side panel, find a flashlight, and stick your head as close to the various components as you can get and see if you can discover where said sound comes from.

Well, you're between a rock and hard place.

1. Support for XP SP2 stops July 13, 2010
2. Hardware (especially hard drives) can fail anytime. Grinding noises just make the probability that much more scary/likely. Which is worse: Losing all your private files if something happens? Or figuring out how to back up/save copies what's important to you so you don't lose files you can't recover?? :dead:

In any case, i'm going to bed now knowing that my hard drive will be imaged/backed up again tonight as usual, so i can sleep that much better knowing all my data is safe and can be recovered ;) G;luck

That explains a whole lot. Dust is nature's natural blanket inside PC cases, causing an increase of heat, resulting in system issues/crashes. You are lucky you didn't lose your cpu, motherboard and video card.

Make sure you buy yourself a few cans of compressed air (never turn them upside down when using) and periodically check the inside of your case; clean as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back