Windows XP Freezes/BSOD on Skype, 0xA, 0xD1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramboaz

Hello,

A friend of mine's machine crashes/BSOD or sometimes just freezes when using Skype with video. Google Video Chat also causes the same issue.

I tried re-installing the webcam but it continues to freeze.

Please see attached dumps,
TIA.

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    173.2 KB · Views: 1
All minidump file errors are 0xD1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
These errors are usually caused by faulty drivers and IRQ Level assignments it that the driver in question is attempting to access one when it shouldn't.

The driver cited is a the Windows OS driver NDIS.sys and usually OS drivers are too general to be of any diagnostic help. They are more point to the fact that there is an issue then actually telling us what the cause is for said issue(s).

However, in doing research I came upon this information that this is a NIC (Network Interface Card aka Network Card) related problem. most problems associated with NIC's - especially when running on 2000 / XP - are interrupt based (Interrupt ReQuest Leve).

Win 2000/XP has special problems because Microsoft's shortsighted default configuration assigns as many devices as it can to a single interrupt. Your computer then 'load balances' the lot. Don't ask why, its Microsoft.

Two things:

1. This system is still in XP Service Pac 2. Come July 10th only XP with Service Pack 3 will be supported. Your friend needs to update his system to SP3 before proceeding.

2. Then if this system's NIC is integrated find the make of the motherboard or if pre-built by the likes of HP, Dell, etc. then go to the website, find the exact model and update the latest NIC/wireless/ethernet drivers.

Thank you very much for the information; sorry for the delayed acknowledgment.

I will try your suggestions when I get back to that PC and report back if there is still an issue.

Take care,
Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back