Windows XP not installing asus pcdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

gheil

i am trying to install WXP on a asus pc-dl mobo (with dual XEONs installed) ... So far no luck. i have installed successfully W2K and Ubuntu. i have tried with a Dig & Analog video card (nVIDIA PNY gFORCE4 in agp slot) and an analog only (S3 TRIO/VIRGE card). i have taken out the audio card. i have switched off in the BIOS everything i could see related to the RAID HDD section... Under all circumstances WXP asks all its questions and afaick installs successfully. But when i go to execute the installation it first shows the WXP splash screen then goes completely bank on both the A & D video channel. i can get into repair mode so i know the partition is there and active. i have seen on the net various complaints, mostly about the Promise RAID, about this board - but all successfully installed WXP...

These are the last lines of the bootlog folder:
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdfs.SYS
[EOF]

i got this by going into w2k (which DOES load as well as Ubuntu). Both "VGA enabled" and the "command line interface" went into a rebooting mode (unless i disabled that).

As far as symptoms, it seems to change colors and crap out the wxp splash screen at the same time as a slight audible change to the computer. It then gets worse, showing the windows restart screen badly, before rebooting.

It seems you have tried more than one video card under XP, without success, but all cards install and work correctly under W2K and Ubuntu. Am I right? Then the most likely thing is a bad XP motherboard driver to connect to the AGP/PCI slots, and the other messages you describe in your second post might also point back to motherboard driver problems.

I advise you to double-check you have the correct, latest drivers for the motherboard, and are installing them at the correct point in the installation of XP

Yes and yes. But i have installed NO drivers and the WXP installation never asks for any...? Are these WXP drivers or drivers for the mobo which are installed _independently_ of any OS?

"These are the last lines of the bootlog folder:
[EOF]

i got this by going into w2k (which DOES load as well as Ubuntu). Both "VGA enabled" and the "command line interface" went into a rebooting mode (unless i disabled that)."

I am not as sharp as some others here;

When you say you have an XP problem then tell me about what you got by 'going into w2k', I get lost.

Did you try an XP boot and use Bios boot control to try a VGA boot per the link?

CCT

> When you say you have an XP problem then tell me about what you got by 'going into w2k', I get lost.

i have successfully installed w2k on the board so i can utilize it to look at all the disks, etc, attached to the mobo.

> Did you try an XP boot and use Bios boot control to try a VGA boot per the link?

VGA enabled leads to endless reboots ... never succeeds. So does CLI etc, though the logging option produces a file. Admittedly i can make nothing of it. Is it supposed to end on CDFS.sys?

The Phoenix BIOS says the ASUS BIOS is at rev 1007 ... the latest which is available, and i have downloaded, is 1009. The asus page where i downloaded this says in part:

"please don''t use ASUS update to flash BIOS."

Which is pretty confusing! Eg it does not say what to use instead. Should i make a floppy with the BIN file i down loaded and use the regular ASUS procedure for updating?

i upgraded my mobo BIOS to 1998 and 1009... No luck so far. i have not been able to get a bootlog from a 1009 wxp. i think wxp never gets to the point of closing that file (despite leaving it running over night...)

my thought is that memory may be faulty. Though why XP is so much more sensitive than Ubuntu and 2K is i do not know. It came with a single stick of .5G in it. i should go ahead and get 4G of sticks for the box though it will take time. It says DDR333 though what this means is a bit confusing to me as faster seems ok according to some sales sites.

i did get a hard error on a 1008 install:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000,0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

web site: aumha.org/a/stop.htm
seems a good resource

which is vague but still leads me to think the memory may be iffy.

There seems to be some variability, perhaps i am not doing it quite right.

This seems the best place to buy memory that i could find. i would buy 4 1G sticks so they are all matched.
eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/3200DDRSAM1G/
(i edit images and run DB's so memory IS important to me;-)

i ran the memtest86 (which came with Ubuntu) for 12h on the 12/G, including overnite on the 90min bit fade tests - nada. The 1/2G seems to work perfectly according to the test.

And it seems to have no trouble installing and using Ubuntu and w2k. Wonder what else could be wrong? Some BIOS setting?

i took the memory settings in the BIOS to their lowest manual settings (off the auto settings of 2.5/7/3/3) of 3/8/4/4 and reinstalled wxp: same result and still no bootlog as presumably it never closes the file...

Aha i did succeed in creating a bootlog this time: is used F8 to pull up the menu item - i did not rely to the boot.ini directive.

The end of the bootlog is:

...which still does not tell me anything about why wxp is failing, even with as slow as possible mobo.

i did order 4GB from zipzoomfly:
www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-55&prodlist=shopping
though i do not hold out much hope for it and it will take 6-9 days to arrive.

i did take out the cd (as the end of the load file was always cdsys...) but the load file was identical w&wo the cd reader...

Found out it was the Video Card;-) The two i had failed in the same way. Anyway i sorta got w7b1 & wvsp1 & xp installable using the newish one:) A G4 mx4400, just a step different from the g4 mx4200 which failed.

XP seems ok except i do not have the internet working, and also no SATA drives, only the main channels (all PATA), none of the accessory channels. i looked throughout the BIOS and so far have found nothing to (re)set.

The 4G from zipzoomfly works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back