Windows XP Pro 64, user environment issue - failed loading user profile

Ubershank

Hey folks,

Been having an annoying issue lately that some digging through the internet has failed to solve and was wondering if anyone can provide some insight.

Any time my PC is rebooted I get issues with windows trying to load my administrator profile which is the only profile on the PC. Anytime I log in there is a short pause followed by an Error:

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - There is not enough space on the disk."

Which I find to be hogwash since the partition my Windows is in has at least 6gb of free space as well as the other drive which I have my temp and document folders have 100gb of free space, so obviously space is a non-issue.

I've done several tests ranging from disk checks and virus scans down to memory tests and everything checks out, odd thing is every time I log out and back in it will still throw the same error but randomly the error will just disappear and my profile will load as if no issues were reported.

I'm sure this problem has something to do with the way I set up Windows when I formatted the drive and partitions or at least some registry issue how ever after having this PC for almost a year now I find it odd that it would just start acting up now, so as it is now I'm kinda fumbling in the dark with the issue.

Try deleting your profile cache, which i believe is located somewhere under C:\documents and settings.

Although i don't think you can delete it whilst being logged on! So creating another admin user would be helpful for this ;)

I'll see about making a new account, I hope corruption under the profile is not the issue since I hate having to migrate files over accounts, thanks for the replies.

Well... I made a second account which worked just fine but my primary admin account just vanished on me and now I'm stuck working on this secondary account.

Yeah my old admin profile files are all still there but when logging into accounts my old admin account is gone now so now I'm stuck with the new admin profile which I will probably have to migrate all my old info over >.<

We'll I guess its sort of safe to say the issue has been resolved sort of. I lost my old windows profile and had to copy all of my old data from my previous profile over to the new one I had created. I guess its safe to say it was a corrupted profile, I'm not too sure how that happened. Thanks for the replies.

Yep, there are usually ways to fix corrupted user profiles, but it is almost always easier if not faster to simply copy important files over to a new profile.

Back