Windows XP Professional BSOD

AkefiaBby

Hello; new here.
I first got my PC on June 8th, 2011. When I set
everything up the next day and used it for a
couple of hours, the Blue Screen popped up. I
had ignored it and just rebooted the computer
and started to use it again. The blue screen
didn't pop up again at all until a few days later.
I did the same and just rebooted the computer.
But a couple more days passed by and that's
when the BSoD screen started to pop up more
often. I didn't know what to do with it but to just
reboot the computer. But now, two nights ago,
the BSoD screen popped up and this time, I
can't get to the log in screen. I tried going into
the safe modes but it wouldn't work. I tried going
to last best config and that didn't work. I tried to
just start up normally and that didn't work either.
What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

I didn't purchase the PC. It was given to
me free from a teacher and her
computer tech friend. My teacher's friend
had checked the computer thoroughly,
made sure there was nothing wrong with
it.. But as soon as a few days later, BSoD
continuously popped up.

From the time you received it until the issues started did you a)install/update any software or b) did you get infected?

I had installed a new hardware; this wireless card to receive wireless internet. Other than that, I didn't do anything.

The PC got infected right after the BSoD popped up; but I had used MalwareBytes Anti Malware program to get rid of it as well as my antivirus program on the computer...

Then there is a very strong chance that you are still infected. Our best suggestion to you is to go to our Virus and Malware Removal forum, read and follow the Updated 8 Step sticky and on that forum post your results as directed.

Good luck.

Oh, I see. Well, I will go check it out. I will post my results there as well as here.

I hope this helps!
Thank you for helping me! <3

Then there is a very strong chance that you are still infected. Our best suggestion to you is to go to our Virus and Malware Removal forum, read and follow the Updated 8 Step sticky and on that forum post your results as directed.

Good luck.

Okay, I went to the Virus and Malware Removal forum. I didn't find the Updated 8 Step forum but I found an UPDATED 7 Step one. I looked at the forum but in order for me to solve this problem, I have to be able to log on to the PC. Right now, I can't get to the Win Logo at all. the Blue screen pops up before I can log in. The most I can do is press F8, F9, F10, and F12, but those don't help me do anything.

Yeah, I forgot it is now 7 rather than 8 Steps. What Blue Screen error codes are displayed? Are any drivers also given?

Oh okay. I figured it would be 7 steps (although there were a few posts that were saying something about 8 steps).

And on the Blue Screen, all it says is that it has halted the PC, and that I should try to go into safe mode.

It also doesn't list anything else but the STOP codes and that physical dump finished. Otherwise, nothing else.

Give us those Stop codes. You don't have to give us all the zeros; just shorten them.

0xA, 0x7F, etc. is all we need.

0x7E, 0xC5 (0x8A636772, 0xB851FBE8, 0xB851F8E4)

Hi, just wanted you to know that I am leaving very early Monday morning to go on vacation and won't be back here until Wednesday July 20th. I've asked mark56 and Archean to look into the threads I am active in. mark56 has gotten back to me and said he would be glad to help. Either of these guys are good and they can read minidump files.

PM them if you need help. Hope it gets resolved. Sorry I couldn't stick with you on this but Disney World is calling. :D

Hi, just wanted you to know that I am leaving very early Monday morning to go on vacation and won't be back here until Wednesday July 20th. I've asked mark56 and Archean to look into the threads I am active in. mark56 has gotten back to me and said he would be glad to help. Either of these guys are good and they can read minidump files.

PM them if you need help. Hope it gets resolved. Sorry I couldn't stick with you on this but Disney World is calling. :D

Hi. I hope you have fun while you are there! Thanks for all your help!! I appreciate it. :) And also, thank your for asking them to help me~ It's okay that you can't stick around. You helped out a lot more than when I tried searching for help on BSoD.

Well, have fun at Disney World. :)

I am here to help while Route44 is on vacation, please add another post if you require further assistance with any progress you have made.

Hi Mark56...

0x7E, 0xC5 (0x8A636772, 0xB851FBE8, 0xB851F8E4)

These are the STOP codes that Route44 had requested.
I don't exactly know what he was intending to do with these codes.

The bug check codes both point towards driver faults but without seeing the full minidump to analyse I can't see what driver is being blamed. There is also a possibility of memory corruption due to a faulty RAM stick or as Route44 had suggested earlier the virus is still active and has caused severe file damage making your system unbootable.

Try these two routines for testing the hard drive and the memory, these both require you to burn a boot disc that should boot your PC so the diagnostics can run.

You will obviously have to use another PC to make the disks. Test the disc on the PC you make them on just to be sure they are burned correctly and will boot the working PC. If they fail to boot the faulty PC please post back and let me know. In this case do not bother to make the second disk as that is also likely to fail.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Please provide the model number of your drive if it is Toshiba Fujitsu for further instructions, this does not run on Windows 7. I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

http://www.memtest.org/

You need to scroll down the page until you see the three blue screenshots. Just below is the list of downloads for Memtest86+ V4.20. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)and save to your desktop, When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD. In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 8 cycles.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

Okay, I made the disc to the first quote you gave me. It says that I first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup but how do I do that? When I first turn on the computer, it doesn't give me much options. I tried F10 to try to get into the setup option that it's set to but all it does is take me to the safe mode option screen.

Did you try to boot from the disk regardless of the boot order, it might just work.

As you can get to the safe mode screen which is the Advanced Boot Menu, they are alternative things we can do, just tell me the version of windows you are using. Have you tried starting it in safe mode, if not give it a go and see if it will boot up..

I turned the computer on, put the first disc in then restarted the computer. It ran as normal; I didn't press any buttons or anything. It led me to the safe mode option screen and when I tried to boot up in safe mode, it loaded all the drivers then showed me the blue screen.

I'm not sure what version of windows I am running... I never really checked it.. How can I check for the version of my windows??

From the Safe mode screen if you select Safe Mode with Command Prompt does that still give you a Blue screen? If it gets to the command prompt type in ver and hit the Enter key, that will tell you the windows version.

If that does not work then try to remember what you did see when it used to boot up, after any manufacturer´s logo you would have seen either a big couloured square window (XP) a small round window (Vista) I doubt you have windows 7 which is different again.

Did you get any discs with the PC?

In the safe mode screen is there an option for Repair or Recovery?

I have tried many times selecting Safe mode with Command Prompt. It would go to the log in screen but as I log in, it takes me to the Blue screen.

I had just tried to log in normally again and it showed me the win XP logo. And no, I didn't get any discs with the PC.

On the Safe Mode screen, there is no option for Repair or Recovery...

This is beginning to sound like a very badly corrupted hard drive.

Get the power on and boot so you can open the CD drive and insert the disk for the hard drive diagnostics that you made. After it has BSOD'd and shut down switch off the power and disconnect the hard drive. Then reboot and it should boot from the diagnostics disc. It obviously won´t find the drive I just want to see if it will work. Tell me what error messages you see and if the diagnostics discs does boot the PC.

On the PC there should be a sticker with the Windows licence key on it. That will tell you what version of XP you have. See if you can borrow a copy of XP that matches it. This problem PC is a desktop model, yes? Do you have access to another desktop PC or only a laptop?

I unhooked the harddrive after I booted the PC with it still plugged in. I then put in the first disc, which was the Run Diagnostics disc. It gave me the error 'Non-System Disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready". I pressed spacebar; it gave me the same error message so I put in the second disc, which was the Memtest one. It worked and started the tests.

When I took a look at the stickers on the PC, it only gave me stickers with the product key and whatnot, and the S/N and p/n keys. Also, this problem PC is a desktop model. I do have access to another desktop PC. Quick note, this other PC does not have the boot disc.

I said this:
After it has BSOD'd and shut down switch off the power and disconnect the hard drive.
Then you did this:
I unhooked the harddrive after I booted the PC with it still plugged in

You should not disconnect a hard drive when the power is on, that is why my instructions said remove it with the power off.

As the system has booted from the Memtest disc at least we now know the system will boot so the problem is fairly sure to be the hard drive itself or corrupted files. With no XP disc to run repairs and not being able to boot into safe mode with the command prompt does make things tricky. Does the other PC have XP on it?

Back