Windows XP repair hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP repair hanging up at "Completing Intallation", 28 minutes remaining

I had some system file problems and decided to boot from the Windows XP SP2 Operating system CD and run the "R" for repair. It gets past the "Installing Devices" and hangs up at "Completing Installation" showing 28 minutes remaining.
This is an HP/Compaq 6530d and is only a few months old and I'm using the original CD that came in the box.

I've read some of the other posts here and have tried some of the tips. I dissabled most of the devices, the lan, wlan. etc, etc, .
I can't get this to go through!

R for Repair, or Repair Console is what you ran? Is this Windows XP, or VISTA? What Service packs are installed.
When you run a compaq restore disk in Repair mode, the rules are very narrowly described. Take a look at the repair installations on the Compaq site.

I'm running "R" for repair on Windows XP. The OS CD that came with the notebook came with SP2 but I had since updated my notebook to SP3. This notebook does not come with a restore CD like my desktop, which walked you through a reformat (if need be). The CD that came with mine is a Driver Recovery CD that only works once Windows is up and running I cannot boot from this CD or else I would do just that. I have every thing off of this notebook that I want and would have been happy to just have had a restore CD that would allow me to reformat, partition and start over.

New development: After allowing it to sit for a few hours, I got an Application Error pop-up for iexplore.exe; "The Instruction at ""0x7729d7db" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"

I guess you can't access your original desktop to see if there is a Program Group from HP to have to do with tools or recovery!

Are you sure there are no Recovery Partitions that you could access by pressing (Usually is F11) to start recovery from the "hidden" partition? Usually there is a partition visible in Windows Explorer plus one that is hidden.

Sharam,
I checked that out at the HP site and it lists (F11) as HP Notebook PCs - System Recovery for Consumer Notebooks (F11). I guess Mine is not a "consumer notebook" since F11 is not one of my startup options.
My options are:
F1 Sys Info
F2 Sys Diag
F7 Spare Key
F9 Boot Options
F10 BIOS
F12 Network Boot

The other partition is rather small.
I have another notebook here of the same make/ model... could I use it to make a restore CD?

HP is sending me the actual recovery CD. I'm going to reformat and start over.

You can buy a restore CD set from HP, unless the computer is very old. We buy them all the time for customers delivering bad computers to the shop. Cost is about $30 including shipping.
You need to be the registered owner, but you can change registration if you bought it used.

Sharam,
I checked that out at the HP site and it lists (F11) as HP Notebook PCs - System Recovery for Consumer Notebooks (F11). I guess Mine is not a "consumer notebook" since F11 is not one of my startup options.
My options are:
F1 Sys Info
F2 Sys Diag
F7 Spare Key
F9 Boot Options
F10 BIOS
F12 Network Boot

The other partition is rather small.
I have another notebook here of the same make/ model... could I use it to make a restore CD?

HP is sending me the actual recovery CD. I'm going to reformat and start over.
Eventhough it is not an option, did you try pressing F11? I recall a fix for "F11 not working".

If the recovery partiton with the image is there, bootable Ghost CD with a few key strokes would've restored the C: partition but you might experience problems with the MBR.

If the other notebook is identical or at least has the same motherboard and chipset, yes, you could.
Original config shows Vista for your model, I guess you requested XP at the time of purchase.

You are getting the CD sent to you, so this is just answering your questions

Hope you get the CD or DVD soon and are back up and running.

Let us know

I did press F11 but it only gave me the choice to boot from the CD or Hardrive.
HP was nice enough to send the CD's express. I should have them today or tomorrow.
I'm just glad I got everthing off of the notebook that I needed before I tried this 'repair'.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back