Windows XP - Service Integrity Check - Missing Services

Hi,

I haven't used my Dell Inspiron 6400 (running Windows XP) for some time - over six months, I think. I noticed there were some System32 error messages appearing the last time I booted the computer - which I had intended to come back to well before today!

Error messages included System 32\Wireless configuration (.dll has not been registered) and System32/cmd.exe (specified system does not exist as an installed service).

After a little research on the internet, including this site and Bleepingcomputer.com, I decided to run RKill, which has revealed a number of Service Integrity issue:m issing services, a missing image, missing parameters key and a missing ServicDLL value.No other issues were found - I'm currently re-running the McAfee scan, as requested. I have the RKill text available to upload if required.

Just wanted to get some advice on whether I've followed the right course of action at the moment, and what the safest next step is. I read through Brioni's handling of a similar issue, and noticed there were further checks carried out and that the the proposed fixes were guided and monitored.Hence my hesitancy!

Thanking you in advance,
Citygirl

Back