Windows XP startup, file is missing or corrupt, \windows\system32\config\system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to a virus intrution I can only access one of the two hard drives on my system. I have tried repairing and other things but no luck. Does anyone have a solution for this?

If you have Windows XP Setup CD you can boot from it and use the repair option to repair your windows installation.

I have tried that option and have no luck. What ever has infected my comp is preventing the setup disk from completing the repairs. Do you have any other options?

It its not repairing (and i assuming you can't boot into safe mode as well); there are not very many options left. Probably the partition is damaged as well.

However, if you do not have any personal data on that partition you can simply reinstall windows and get on with it.

It its not repairing (and i assuming you can't boot into safe mode as well); there are not very many options left. Probably the partition is damaged as well.

I have tried safemode aswell. This, what ever it is, is one bad bug. Thank you for your reply. I do have another drive on this computer and I can access the other drive and go in through the back door. I am not sure what I can do once I am in. Any suggestions as to what I might be able to try using that avenue?

Hi

Hi - Run the following commads and should take care of the same-

Hope this will help!-

Boot the Computer From the Windows XP CD and Start the Recovery Console

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive and restart the computer.
2. At the Press any key to boot from CD prompt, press the <Spacebar> to display the Windows Setup screen and load several files.
3. Press the <R> key.
4. If prompted, select the number corresponding to the Windows installation you want to log into (usually C:\WINDOWS).
5. Press the <Enter> key.
6. Enter the Administrator password, if any, and press the <Enter> key on the keyboard to display the C:\WINDOWS> prompt.

If the system fails to boot, the following method of recovery is not possible

7. ________________________________________
Copy Snapshot Data To the Registry Directory

At the Windows XP Recovery Console command prompt (C:\WINDOWS>), perform the following steps:
1. Type the following command:
cd \
There must be one space between cd and \.
2. Press the <Enter> key to display a C:\> prompt.
3. Type the following command:
cd system~1\_resto~1
Note the underscore character after the backslash.

NOTE: An Access is denied message may appear. If so, follow the steps below:
1. Type the following command:
cd windows\system32\config
2.Press the <Enter> key.
3. Type the following command:
ren system system.bck
4. Press the <Enter> key.
5. Type the following command:
exit
6. Press the <Enter> key.
The system will restart.
7. Begin again with the first step under Boot the Computer from the Windows XP CD and Start the Recovery Console.

4. Type the following command:
dir
5. Press the <Enter> key.
Among other information, the dir command will list one or more directories, such as RP1, RP2, and RP3. These directories contain Windows XP Restore Point data.
Make note of a recently created RP directory, but not one that was created in the past few minutes.
6. Type the following command:
cd rp<x>
where <x> equals the restore point data directory number (i.e. RP3).
7. Press the <Enter> key.
8. Type the following command:
cd snapshot
9. Press the <Enter> key.
10. For either error message containing ...\CONFIG\SOFTWARE:
a. Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software.
b. Press the <Enter> key.
For the error message containing ...\CONFIG\SYSTEM:
c. Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system.
d. Press the <Enter> key.

NOTE: If queried whether to replace the file, press the <Y> key and press the <Enter> key.
11. Type the following command:
exit
12. Press the <Enter> key.
The system will restart.
13. Remove the Windows XP CD from the drive as the system begins to restart.

Thank you for your reply, I just got back into town where thr problem computor is located. I will try your suggestions and get back to you with the results. Thank you for your help!

7. ________________________________________
Copy Snapshot Data To the Registry Directory

Where is the snapshot data? Sorry I feel like I'm missing something...I went forward and did the steps after #7 and I got stuck on #10....I've been at this thing for about 2+ hours, so it's totally possible that my brain is fried lol.
But yeah, I get along fine, but once I try to to the copy
_registry_machine_system....
I am told that the command is not recognized and I need to type HELP for a list of supported commands :(

DOH! I answered my own question, kinda sorta...just realized that there is a space between copy and the underscore...like I said, brain=fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back