Windows XP will not boot, missing/corrupt ISAPNP.SYS >>> system32\DRIWERS

Windows XP attempting to boot, stops with error msg (in Safe Mode also)"missing/corrupt ISAPNP.SYS file" error msg specifies \system32\DRIWERS, not a typo, is DRIWERS instead of "Drivers". The file is located in the Drivers folder, apprehensive about using XP CD to repair or do in place upgrade.

Recently McAfee techs worked remotely on computer, suspect was typo on their part or malware.

Where can I modify this path name? Or what is best approach to repair without reinstalling everything?

Thank You!

Either a Windows Repair or a virus scan to make sure you are not infected. If you haven't resolved it I would first determine if you are infected or not.

Resolved >>> Corrupt Registry

Found the solution myself...

The ISAPNP.SYS file was ok and properly located in the Systems32\Drivers folder.

Using a HD dock, connected to another PC, ran a couple of different virus scan/malware programs including Malwarebytes. No infections detected.

Found MS Support article 307545 which helped to resolve the issue. Basically replaced corrupted registry files with the original reg files (created during the first installation) to enable machine to boot. Once Windows is running you then locate restore point snapshots of the registry files, select a set and copy them to a temp folder. Again using XP CD in Repair mode, to rename, copy and delete to complete some file gymnastics. Then back into Windows to use the System Restore utility to select a restore point and then running.

Details are availble in the MS Support article.

Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

Back