Windows XP will not load

Hi,

When I switch my computer on I see the usual start-up screens for approx 30 seconds, then the computer switches itself off and starts all over again repeatedly.
I've tried starting in 'safe mode' and other variations but the problem persists.

I have also tried starting via the windows XP disc, but it just gets to the end user licence agreement and will not go any further when I press F8, although if I press escape it starts all over again.

Any ideas - please be aware that I'm not that computer literate so an expanded explaination would be appreciated.

Many thanks

On the F8 screen where you can choose to start in safe mode there's an option to disable restarts on errors or stop messages Turn that off so the machine doesn't restart and you can see the blue screen if there is one. Get the error codes.

If you have access to another PC, download the ISO for Memtest86+ and burn it to CD, boot the system with the CD and run the tests.

Hi,

Many thanks for that - the message on the blue screen states:

STOP:c0000221 {bad checksum}
The image olethk32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

Should I still go ahead and download and burn the ISO and reboot from that, or do I need to do something else?

If I do reboot from the cd, how do I fix the problem above to stop it from re-occurring?

Thanks again,

Hi,

I've burned the programme to disc, but my system just ignores the disc on start-up and behaves as before. If I press F8 it just takes me to the windows advanced options screen as usual.

Thanks,

I realised my mistake - the info on the disc wasn't an ISO file, so I burned it again and ran the tests with no-problems reported.

I then went back to basics and ran chkdsk which reported problems. I ran the chkdsk repair which and then the chkdsk again which reported no-problems detected.

I removed the disc and re-booted and the same problem began all over again.

Any advice appreciated.

Back