Win 10 randomly crashes, no BSOD, no minidump, no error messages

pioneerx01

I have build my computer 11 years old (I know its old). It has been very solid for me and I was able to fix any issues easily over the time. In last 2 weeks it keeps crashing and I can't figure out why.

I can go 1-3 days between crashes, it does not matter if I am playing a game, doing research, or if the computer is idle. It will just decide to crash, No BSOD, no minidumps, no error messages; the screens just go black. Check disk, virus scan, memtest, SFC & DISM scans all come clean. All drivers are up to date, no unnecessary software is running, no hardware changes in last 2.5 years. Short of reinstalling it, I tried all I know.

I was thinking of redoing the BIOS, but the last updated version is from 2011, and messing with BIOS always makes me a bit nervous.

One interesting thing I noticed is that when it crashes, I cannot press the restart button to get it going again. I have to do hard shut down and then turn it back on. Otherwise the reset button works if the computer is working normally.

Thoughts?

Does the event viewer have anything around the time of the crash?

Back in the old days when something unexplainable happened we'd say re-seat your cards and RAM. Power down, pull the cards and RAM and put them back in.

Does the event viewer have anything around the time of the crash?

Back in the old days when something unexplainable happened we'd say re-seat your cards and RAM. Power down, pull the cards and RAM and put them back in.
I have no unusual error logs around the time of crash that I do not get other days without system being affected.

Alright, well you don't have anything else to lose but time, so power down and re-seat everything and get back with the results.

11 years of solid use is pretty impressive with no issues. I'd suspect an imminent failure of something like the psu or motherboard.

Back