Windows XP won't let me log in

Status
Not open for further replies.

rswift

First off, I know a little bit about computers but I'm not particularly tech-savvy so please simplify any advice, haha.

I'm using a PC with Windows XP and recently my computer got a few viruses. I used to use Norton but my subscription ran out and I uninstalled it before this incident occured. (Which is probably why I got a virus in the first place. Bad move, I know.) I never used Norton to try to fix this problem, but I still have the CD. A friend suggested I use Avast, and after I ran its scan and it supposedly took care of everything I restarted my computer. When I click on my username it shows my desktop background for a few seconds, then says "logging out, saving settings". My father and stepmother also use this computer, and trying to log in with their accounts had the same result. I have very important files (family photos, a huge music collection, all of which isn't backed up) on my computer so reformatting my hard drive is not an option.

Any advice as to what might be wrong and how I can go about solving the problem? Thanks!

Ok simple advice for now, when you power on your PC just before booting to Windows hit the F8 button(hit several time will be easier) and then choose Safe Mode.Then log in with your username or as administrator and make a system restore before that you install avast and when it finish you may be able to log in.

Please follow the steps in the Virus and Malware Removal here:
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

When you have finished, Move over to the Virus and Malware Forum in TechSpot, copy your message from the first post and paste on a new thread. Attach the three logs. It is most certain that you have malware considering you were without appropriate security- even briefly.

You might need to use a flash drive to download the programs, then run them on the infected computer.

I ran windows in safe mode and the problem still occured. It still wouldn't let me log on. Since I can't open my account and get to my desktop it's impossible for me to go through the steps mentioned in Bobbye's post.

Sorry for my delayed reply, it's hard for me to access a functional computer.

Try the [had to remove link due to my low post count] to help backup your important data. The link also includes help installing Windows clean :)

Will booting windows from that CD let me log in? I'd love to be able to get into my account and back everything up so as to wipe the hard drive clean.

Another question. If windows does allow me to get into my account if I used the CD, can I connect my ipod and drag and drop everything I want to save onto it? I don't have a USB flash drive with enough capacity to hold all of my files and I'm unable to buy/borrow one. I've already stored some of my photos on my ipod, using it like an external hard drive so I can make room on my jam-packed C drive. I'm scared that if I wiped my hard drive clean and reinstalled windows, if I plug my ipod in and click on it via My Computer to see all the files I copied onto it, windows might not recognize my ipod and those files wouldn't show up. I don't see why that would happen, if I copied something onto the ipod's hard drive and used it like an external hard drive there's no reason I can think of for it erasing/not displaying everything. Haha I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say.

Ah, okay. So I now have a way to backup my files, which is a relief. Now all I need to do is find a way to log into my account!

But just one thing, if you don't know your Windows Administrator password (which is usually blank) then you can also you the Live CD here to get that: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post633339-2.html
Well that link retrieves forgotten passwords

But the UBCD actually has a "My Computer" just like Windows on the Desktop
Now I'm not going to explain how to double click on My Computer and then Double Click on your IPOD Drive so forth so forth I hope ;)

Well that link retrieves forgotten passwords

But the UBCD actually has a "My Computer" just like Windows on the Desktop
Now I'm not going to explain how to double click on My Computer and then Double Click on your IPOD Drive so forth so forth I hope ;)

Hahaha, I think I've got a grip on double clicking.

So let me get this straight, I burn UBCD onto a CD, boot windows from the CD, and it'll let me access my files so I can put them on my ipod? Then from there I can address the malware problem without having to worry about losing any important data.

I'm having trouble. I'm trying to burn the UBCD using my school's macs. When I read the burning instructions on the UBCD site it talks about ISO, which I'm not familiar with. I downloaded UBCD4WinV322.exe without any problems and put it into a burn folder and burned it. I wasn't asked about ISO's or anything like that. I put the CD into my PC when I got home and it never gave me the option to boot from the CD. How do I get it to work?

Yeah I read that, I don't have any specific burning software on this mac. I put in the CD, make a burn folder, burn it and it doesn't give me any options related to ISO's or anything like that.

To tell you the truth, I'm not good with Macintosh
I believe you may need to use a PC or ask at the UBCD forums

I specifically made that guide so I wouldn't need to answer further questions on UBCD

The exe is a Microsoft Windows executable, not of use to you on the Mac. Download the .iso file. Then:

Burn ISO Mac:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389
1. Insert a blank disc.
2. Start Disk Utility.
3. From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the ISO to be burned.
4. In the list of volumes, you will now see an item representing the ISO file. Select it.
5. Click the Burn button and follow the instructions.

I tried using safe mode with command prompt with the goal of using system restore but it still logged me out.

I don't want to use UBCD honestly. I had a friend try to burn it for me and she said her computer wouldn't let her because apparently it's crawling with viruses. Is there any way I can fix this problem without using 3rd party applications that I know nothing about?

I tried to do an installation of windows xp to try to fix the problem and it said a certain file was corrupted and wouldn't let me go through with it.

I'm getting really frustrated! It's almost been a month!

Well why is this thread in Windows OS if you are using a Mac anyway?
Also the suggestion of UBCD is still valid as it even has an in built Virus scanner program
I think it would be wise for you to take on the support provided by experienced computer support members.

But hey your choice and all.

I am only using a mac at my school to access the internet as the PC with Windows that I have at home will not let me log in.

Yes I know, I re-read the thread after posting to work out what happened again (ie this thread is getting old :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I thought you may reply so just left it in
I can't think of anything else better for you to try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back