Winpower PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GThomp6654

I have a 600w winpower psu, I was wondering first of all if winpower cpu's were OK,and secondly, if not, what would be a decent upgrade / chage?

thank you in advance

GT

It's sort of unfair to proclaim your PSU's quality based on it's brand. You will have more accurate responses if you provide a model number for the product in question.

Awwww... that means I have to take my side off again lol

Oh well, I will do that tomorrow what I have a bit more time and post here again, thankyou for your quick reply tho :)

That "Model Number" really didn't get me anywhere as far as a specific PSU goes.

Anyway, I spent a bit of time looking around for general views on HEC PSU's and "Winpowers" as a whole. The overall consensus is that they're "crap" and to be "avoided like the plague". They seem to be a cheap and generic PSU.

I cannot comment on the actual hardware specifics of your PSU, as, I don't know them and I can't find them. However, the overall "quality" of your PSU is questionable at best. If you've got the cash, and are actually concerned about the safety of your PC, I would recommend that you replace that PSU.

Thats what I was starting to think, but I was really hoping that for once I would get some good news, looks like I will have to wait a bit longer for that lol

thankyou once again for your help Zeno

You're welcome, and who knows, maybe you've got the lucky winner in your PC and it won't pull a suicide mission taking the rest of your components with it.

:D

oh that would be joy lol

would you or anyone else be able to recommend some decent PSU's that I should keep my eyes open for?

CPU: Pentium D 925 OC'd 3.3ghz
Mobo: ASRock ConRoe 133-D667
Mem: 2gb Kingston 667
Video: NVidia GeForce 8500 GT
HDD: Hitachi 400gb
PSU: Winpower 600w
CPU Fan: Stock Intel

WOW, I didn't realise that PSU's were so expensive, well not for a decent one, perhaps that is where I have been going wrong for so long :S

I think I better get saving, and quickly

Yeah, you get what you pay for that's for certain :). Even the cheap (meaning low cost) PSUs that are manufactured by reputable companies aren't accompanied by "Active PFC", in fact, most don't even have "Passive PFC".

You can read the Wikipedia page on Power Factor Correction (PFC) by clicking here.

HeHe, seems you are getting to know me, I have added this link to my fav's as well, to read tomorrow.

I cannot thank you enough for the time you have given up to help me

Sorry for using one of my really old posts, but I just bought a new PSU, and was wondering if I had made a good decision, before I install it.

The one I opted for was:

Seasonic S12II-430

I only paid about £30 for it, including delivery, and as I had seen them selling for £45 - £50 I thought it was a decent deal?

I did a quick check of some UK prices for that power supply and you are right. Most are selling for much higher. £30 is a decent price.

That "Model Number" really didn't get me anywhere as far as a specific PSU goes.

Anyway, I spent a bit of time looking around for general views on HEC PSU's and "Winpowers" as a whole. The overall consensus is that they're "crap" and to be "avoided like the plague". They seem to be a cheap and generic PSU.

I cannot comment on the actual hardware specifics of your PSU, as, I don't know them and I can't find them. However, the overall "quality" of your PSU is questionable at best. If you've got the cash, and are actually concerned about the safety of your PC, I would recommend that you replace that PSU.

Very interesting if rather blunt possibly. I have also been doing a little research into power supplies. As a qualified electrical engineer I also believe I may have a head start on most. I can personally state that the Win Power 750 PSU is an absolutely excellent PSU. I have had it running a power hungry AMD 9850 Black Cpu with two 4850 SLI Raedeons for over a year. Rock solid. I firmly believe that there is more uninformed comment made about PSU's than any other subject area in computing. Mostly by people who have opinions based on nothing else than ill informed heresay. In my experience the installation environment has a great deal to do with performance. Put even a quality PSU inside a poorly ventilated case in a location with poor overall ventilation and it will fry in 6 months. Put a lower cost PSU in a reasonably ventilated case in a sensible location and it will often be no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back