Winupdate.exe slips through AVG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamy_Goodness

Hi guys,

At the moment using AVG 9 free with latest definintions as my antivirus. I found winupdate.exe on me PC yesterday. Problem is that the only reason I caught it was that the program itself crashed (winupdate has called an illegal operation etc etc)
It was residing in my temp folder.
I know the file is linked to various worms out there, so before removing the file manually I did a full scan with AVG, showing that my system was clean (obviously wrong)
I then updated Malwarebytes and ran a full scan finding 4 infected files. I have since removed the virus (infected files, registry entries etc) but my question is why does AVG not report any errors, especially when it has its own malware/spyware process running?

Am I better running some other package or could this error be related to the virus itself?

Thanks

then updated Malwarebytes and ran a full scan finding 4 infected files. I have since removed the virus (infected files, registry entries etc) but my question is why does AVG not report any errors, especially when it has its own malware/spyware process running?

Simple answer: AVG misses a lot of malware. My though is that it was a good antivirus in the v7 and v7.5 versions. But once it went to v8, it seemed to have lost most of it's effectiveness.

Keep in mind that AVG was originally just an antivirus program. You need layered security for antivirus and antimalware to include one AV, one firewall and at least 2 spyware/adware programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back