Winxp pro serv 3 lsass.exe missing no cd but have home cd

shetechdummy

My computer took a nose dive the other day now im in the never ending loop of missing file lsass.exe even in safe mode. My computer is a dell inspiron 6000 running xp pro. I have a couple of oem xp home serv pac2 disc but not sure if they would even work with xp pro. I do have this desk top running xp pro but dont have a cd for it either. I did put win xp home into cd drive on laptop but didnt boot from it not sure how to change order of boot on this dell. but assume I find out how can I use home to fix this missing file issue? btw I do have a product key number for the win pro on a sticker on bottom of laptop if that helps. It doesn't say oem software like the xp home cd sticker says. I hope this is making sense to someone that can help me. thanks in advance

I think that you will have to have the XP Pro disk for Dell computers to reinstall Windows. Your best bet is to look on eBay. You have your existing key ready for use so it shouldn't be expensive to just buy a disk. One with SP2 or SP3 would speed things up. A reinstall will be a very long process if you are unable to do a repair.

Last edited:
I think that you will have to have the XP Pro disk for Dell computers to reinstall Windows. Your best bet is to look on eBay. You have your existing key ready for use so it shouldn't be expensive to just buy a disk. One with SP2 or SP3 would speed things up. A reinstall will be a very long process if you are unable to do a repair.

Well I have read to repair missing files using the computer manufacture cd will not work that I need a win xp cd so once again I am confused with conflicting info

"I need a win xp cd". That's correct and it's what I just advised you to buy. The disk will have what you need to install XP Pro on your Dell.
I would think about buying a new computer. Yours is so old that you are going to be spending regularly on it soon.

Things have changed considerably nowadays but back in the days of XP computers used to come with two disks. My Medion had a disk for the OS to do a reinstall of XP and another disk with drivers and programs for use after a fresh install. It is probably like that with your Dell. Make sure that if you buy a disk that it is one for a reinstall of the OS. I remember vaguely reinstalling XP Pro on my ancient Dell desktop and I don't think that I needed to re-enter the Windows key.

I really
Things have changed considerably nowadays but back in the days of XP computers used to come with two disks. My Medion had a disk for the OS to do a reinstall of XP and another disk with drivers and programs for use after a fresh install. It is probably like that with your Dell. Make sure that if you buy a disk that it is one for a reinstall of the OS. I remember vaguely reinstalling XP Pro on my ancient Dell desktop and I don't think that I needed to re-enter the Windows key.
I really didnt want to do a reinstall as much as I wanted to do a repair but not from recovery console but the second option. I called dell and of course they will not give me any info or disc or time of day with win xp product. grrrrrr. I understand I need to upgrade but I cant afford that now and until this recent lsass.exe file missing or corrupt it worked fine. I hate to keep asking but can you tell me what you cd I need and how does the key come into play to make buying the cd not expensive

My work laptop used to have a i386 folder w/ all the setup files. Not sure if that's now IT set it up or installed by default. You'd have to expand the file though, if it's there, since it's got the ex_ extension.

Thank you for your response rabbit01 but still above my head. If anyone can tell me a fix for the lsass.exe loop missing file without oem win xp cd without losing my documents folder I would really appreciate it. I have read if I try one fix I can end up making maters worse. as in chckdis r or something like that. I am trying to make sure not to make things worse than they are now

Fate dealt me a blow this week with my XP desktop which connects to a TV by ethernet cable. I bought a new TV with a wired ethernet port and I tried to get wireless working on the desktop to free up the ethernet cable. The result was that I messed up XP Home trying to enable the very temperamental Ralink wireless card.

XP wouldn't launch in any mode plus the failure of last known good configuration led me to try a repair using the original Medion disk. I keep all the disks in case of such a problem but it was no fun. Firstly, I used the Medion disk with the OS set up and tried to effect a repair. It looked like it had gone wrong from the start because after checking files it set about reinstalling Windows. I soon told myself that perhaps a fresh start was no bad thing. At the end of the process I had XP and to my pleasant surprise all the programs and documents from before.

I was checking it out and found that my videos wouldn't play so I tried to reinstall my media players. There was a message that the program required SP3. Years ago because SP3 was enormous I saved it to disk. I wondered if missing out SP2 would work but there was no problem. There was a stage with SP3 installing where it said that it was checking my authorisation key. Ages later with SP3 installed my videos were playing again. At the end there were probably 200 Windows updates to install.

SP2 and SP3 are large additions to XP. I don't know if there are any tricks of the trade to repair XP when it won't boot but even a repair turned out to be as much work as a fresh reinstall. I also needed to use the companion disk to install some drivers which XP didn't provide. This is not a quick or easy job. You will need the correct OS disk for your Dell or your key won't be accepted (there are lots of different versions of XP) and be aware that it is not certain that it will include SP2 let alone SP3. Best of luck.

Last edited:
. It looked like it had gone wrong from the start because after checking files it set about reinstalling Windows. I soon told myself that perhaps a fresh start was no bad thing. At the end of the process I had XP and to my pleasant surprise all the programs and documents from before.

Good to hear files didn't disappear.

Sounds like best to back up files 1st before proceeding w/ repair. The article I linked to above mentioned Knoppix, but any Linux live CD should work. I've only used Ubuntu. Boot the computer w/ the live CD, and back up the files to ext. drive.

I can't really see shetechdummy coping with any of this unless she has a fair bit of experience with computers or knows somebody who does.

Bazz thanks for your confidence. lol you are probably right. So let me ask simple question in hopes of simple answer that doesn't start with "I think" .
Do I need a windows xp pro srv pck 3 installation disk or Dell oem windows disk to run a repair to fix the lsass.exe loop and missing file?

It will be a real challenge to avoid "I think" but I'm going to give it a go. Look under the laptop for the Microsoft XP label and it should tell you. Expect to see OEM on it as well as the key. If the OS was on the laptop originally it's almost certainly OEM. That means it cannot be transferred to another computer.

I just re-read your first post where you say that it doesn't say OEM on the sticker. On my old Dell desktop it doesn't either but it does have the word "Dell" on it. For me that means it is OEM.

Buying a new Windows 10 laptop is your best option by far.

Last edited:
Back