Wire or wireless that's the real question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a phone modem DSL in my office that is 600 feet away from my front room and I found out that you cannot add another modem to the same line...Some one suggested that I get one of those plug in to the wall units tha use the electrical system... but I dont have a computer in there, but would like to be able to use wireless devices trough out the house. can you put a D-links or something like that to brodcast wireless signal?

In a house? 600'? Well, I'd move the modem, I'd expect in a house the phone line the DSL is coming in on is a line all rooms get, but then again I've never been in a house that had a 600' span in any direction...

So my suggestion is to try to go high end consumer wireless, simply because that will save you money over going business class wireless and I don't know how much better that will be for only a few users. Wired won't work without some sort of a repeater, at least not cat-5.

the IPoverAC is a viable solution, but research compatibility - - I've read some WiFi adaptors
have issues making the connection.

the setup looks like
Code:
modem --- router---ACcontroller . . . . . . . ACremote---wired.system
The router allows other connections local to itself & without it, you will only have the IPoverAC connection (ie ONE) as the ACcontroller doesn't have NAT or DHCP to create a subnet.

It you must have wifi at the remote end, then you will need another router with wifi or an access point, eg ACremote---router#2 ---wired.or.wifi.systems

I have three computers in the office and the house is pre phone ara the lines we pulled in to the office area and used one line on cordless...so housenever had phone lines.

I know get a new house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back