Wireless connectivity issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm fighting my ignorance here with a wireless connectivity problem and would greatly appreciate any help.

I have a home network system with two computers hard-wired to the router via ethernet cables and one laptop computer in another room that I'm having trouble with a low connectivety problem via wireless connection.

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT-54G. The laptop is a Dell Latitude D800 with XP-Pro.

I was somewhat successful with regard to the initial setup by entering the laptop's MAC address into the MAC Filter on the router as well as entering the Network Key (WEP). So now the laptop does connect to the router, however, I can't connect to the internet.

The pop-up bubble from the Wireless Network Connection icon in the system tray says: "Speed: 36.0 Mbps, Signal Strength: Low, Status: Limited or No Connectivity".

When I used the "Repair" feature it returned the following error message;

"Windows could not finish reparing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Renewing your IP address.
For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

(The Techspot format would not allow me to insert the actual error image here because I have less than 5-posts).

Is this a router / strength issue or a settings issue with not recognizing the I.P. address?

Thanks again in advance for any help. I really appreciate it!

The problem is a settings issue, but the strength issue is probably not.
Uninstall your Wireless, and use RegClean or other registry editor to remove all samples of it in the registry.
Then reboot and reinstall.
The LinkSys WRT54G is a rugged unit... not as fast as some, but very reliable.
Follow the instructions in the LinkSys downloadable repair guide exactly, and use your standard WEp, but avoid the other stuff for now.
Be sure your LinkSys install software is for the correct version, and download any updates.
Test and setup by having the receiving computer in the same room until you are sure it is working correctly by the repair info.
Once installed, Use a long ethernet CAT5 or Cat6 cable... of 14 feet to 16 feet or longer...
Then move both devices around their respective rooms. Sometimes five inches makes a big difference... keep the LinkSys at least 12 inches away from any wall or ceiling for the tests.
Once it works properly when five or six feet away, move the laptop back to the other room.
Too often, there is a metal mesh on the walls used to plaster the room. That will cause low speed. Others have sprayed on coatings that have tiny aluminum foil strips, or foil "sparkles" embedded in the paint or wall covering.
But usually moving the devices around a bit takes care of the problem once you get them working in the same room.
I assume you have updated the Latitude D800 drivers from the Dell site, and that the laptop does not detect any other spurious signals..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back