Wireless Internet Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

armen115

Hello.. I want to have wireless internet for my xbox in another room in the house and im wondering if I can do it with my current hardware. I have: A PC with XP, A modem with the big with cord connected to it, and the modem is connected to my PC, and I just got a free D-Link DI-524 802.11g Wireless Router. I am also thinking about network extenders or USB flash drives if needed. Any possibilities? Note: I am only going to use the wireless internet for my xbox, so does that eliminate the cards or whatever it takes and make it so that I just need the xbox adapter?? And Ive set it up before the right way (Im pretty sure) and its said something about an internet gateway in my network connections.. So did that mean that was wireless and I could use the adapter for my xbox to make it work?

Help Appreciated

To make the game system go wireless you need a WDS (Wireless Distribution System) that are some out their that will make any wired device wireless. You won't need wires only the one you connect from the Xbox to WDS and that's it. Dlink makes a few of these devices.

wireless router }}}}}}}} {{{{{WDS (wireless bridge/access point) === Xbox

Which Xbox you have? Does it have Ethernet port on the rear of it? If it does then all you do is buy WDS. They look like this:

consumer_196x185_051408.jpg

DAP-1522 (this supports G band also)

Yes, my xbox 360 has an ethernet port on the back of it. Also, is there a cheaper version of this because all I need it for is like 50 feet and for xbox only.. so wouldnt it be cheaper to buy those plug in things that netgear makes that you put the ethernet cord into the xbox and the one plug, and the router which is connected to the modem into the other plug? Those are like 90-110$ I think, which beats the other price, that is, unless I get a WDS thats cheaper than the plug in things.

btw the wireless network extenders are these:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineWirelessAccessPoints/WGXB102.aspx

Options:
Network Adapters 90-110$ OR
Adapter for my xbox 100$ OR
WDS - I dont know how much, hopefully I can get a cheap one

I got a WDS for only $50 which is only High Power Turbo G. Yes the dlink WDS is high since it's new plus has dual band, 4 wired Gig ports and Draft N wireless. Amazon has one for $99 bucks. You could go lower and get those Wireless Game Adapters from Belkin, Linksys and Netgear.

Those Ethernet over Power Line seems to work for some, I don't use the technology here as my house has new wiring with some odd connections so that won't work here. I use wired and wireless connections without issues.

So can you recommend me a cheap WDS for under 100$? and if I get a wireless game ada[ter will that be the only thing that I need?

I'll check? But are you in the USA or Canada? You can also go to Wal-Mart or Wal-Mart SuperCenter, I've seen the Linksys their. But I'll look for you.

be careful; 802.11n is not (necessarily) compatible across different venders :(

Ok I live in canada and I want to go to a store to pick it up.. tigerdirect and canadacomputers will probably have something like that to. If I can find a cheap wireless game adapter will that be the only thing I need?
PS: my computer, modem and router are all in a different room than the xbox

just google for 802.11n or N Class Routers -- I've posted previously on T.S. that
-N is non-standard and not adopted as yet by the IEEE. Therefore each vendor
is interpreting the draft document as they see fit AND consequently each is slightly
different.

caveat emptor!

I knew that there had not yet been a wholesale rush to 802.11n, but I must have missed any discussions of the issue(s) involved. Will do some googling. Thanks.

G can work with most vendors, N can be a bit different though as the N is still in Draft mode. But if they're like Trendnet uses dlink hardware so you can use trendnet draft N. Linksys and Netgear Draft N might not work with dlink but right now kind of how to tell if you have the hardware or not. I can tell you that Netgear draft N will work with Linksys Ultra Draft N. So it really depends on what brand versas the new draft N.

WDS in Canada you might want to look at Buffalo.. Or linksys game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back