"Wireless" network

marklantis

I have a host computer that connects to the internet by tethering a motorola Droid. This computer connects to a router using an ethernet cable to broadcast wifi. A second computer connects to the router using a wifi adapter. But, I cant set up a wireless file-sharing network; because the network setup wizard does not recognize the router as a connection to the other computer. I'm given the option to say "the host computer connects directly to the internet and the other computer connects to the internet through the host computer using a ethernet cable," which is technically incorrect. The second computer connects to the router which connects to the host computer using the ethernet cable. Is there a way to set up the file-sharing network with my configuration? The host computer does not recognize the router; although both machines can access the internet. All machines are running XP PRO.

I have a host computer that connects to the internet by tethering a motorola Droid.
Be careful - - your Droid Data plan can eat you alive!

the mapping looks like this
Code:
Droid = = host computer --- cable --- WiFi Router .... WiFi Connections

(A)
Code:
The host computer does not recognize the router; 
although both machines can access the internet.
Work on (A) first. Disconnect the Droid, and;
The router will need a special configuration;
  • set the router address to 192.168.0.100
  • set the netmask to 255.255.255.0
  • set the DHCP range to 10-20
  • set the SSID and channel number as you please
  • allow the DNS to configure automatically
  • save the configuration
Now it looks like this:
Code:
WiFi Router .... WiFi Connections
        |
        V
        host computer

connect the router to the Host and WiFi connect one other system to the Router.

For the Cable to the Host, leave the WAN side empty and connect to a LAN slot.

Configure the Host as Directly Connected to the Internet.

The WiFis will logically connect (internally) as more LAN connections.
The host should get an IP address from the router as 192.168.0.10 or above and the WiFis
should also be 10->20. You can verify with IPCONFIG /ALL
All systems should be able to PING each other but none access (as yet) the Internet.

Now for the fun; Tether the Driod to the Router WAN slot and make the Cell Connection.
The WAN side will get an IP address from the Cell tower and it doesn't matter what it is.

The host should now be able to resolve a doman name; get a command prompt and enter
nslookup google.com. (<===note the trailing period)​
If you get an IP address and not a timeout, you're good to go; launch a browser and enjoy.

We'll get Print/File sharing once your online with the Host and any WiFi connected systems.

if the Droid will not connect to the Router WAN, then connect it to a router LAN slot
and make the Cell call from there

Back