Wireless router for auto?

drensmith

Does any devise exist? if so,,, where does it connect to,,(satelite?) I want to travel but want internet connection,,,any ideas? thanx

The only internet available to consumers for traveling is Mobile Data (3G & 4G). I know you can purchase wireless dongles from most cell phone companies.

Yeah, they will most likely come with some sort of monthly subscription.

Will you be upgrading your phone soon? If so, and if you get an Android phone and don't mind some tinkering, you can root your phone and download app from Google Play that will turn the phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot. There might be something at the Apple store that will do the same thing but I'm not familiar.

You can purchase a wifi hotspot mini-modem. These charge via USB. Theoretically, you could use a cigarette lighter USB charger and have the thing in your car 24/7 acting as a hotspot.

As for the Android suggestion above - pretty much all new Android phones support a wifi hotspot feature.

And that typically costs extra if I'm not mistaken. The rooted phone + app option is free however.

Rooting voids warranty.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) and above definitely have a wifi hotspot feature built-in to the OS. Exclusions could include Samsung/HTC custom skin/ROM.

Rooting does void your warranty. However, that is if they can prove it was rooted in the first place. A quick Odin (Samsung phones) back to your stock ROM will cover it all up :p. There is a ton of ways to revert your phone back to it's stock state in the event you want to utilize your warranty after the fact.

Rooting voids warranty.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) and above definitely have a wifi hotspot feature built-in to the OS. Exclusions could include Samsung/HTC custom skin/ROM.

Will other devices be able to connect w/o extra fee? My Samsung Fascinate (GB 2.3.5) has the 3G mobile hotspot function build-in, but costs extra should I decide to use it. Anyway, that wasn't the primary reason why I rooted mine. It was to use Titanium Backpack w/ all functionality. Wi-Fi hotspot, ad blocking, firewall were benefits I discovered later.

Back