Wireless says connected but nothing internet-based works

Nekurahn

I've been trying to figure this out for a week and I'm just at my wits end with this one. I can see the network map in network settings and the wireless icon in the taskbar next to the clock clearly says "Internet access", but Firefox /IE are both offline. Can't connect to Dropbox or Skype either. I tried a wired connection and exact same result. Icon changes to wired and notes "Internet access". No go. Any ideas?

EDIT: We have 3 computers on the network. The PC I'm on is wireless without problem, my own computer is wired without problem and then the laptop that can't connect to anything, apparently.

Icons don't 'say' anything, but they sometimes indicate changes by changing appearance. In my experience, a wireless icon usually appears as a set of bars that change color to indicate signal strength (usually white or green indicating a signal). The term 'Internet access' could indicate either wireless or wired, as you've noticed, but it doesn't indicate the 'state' of the connection. My 'idea' is that you really have no idea what you're talking about, and this quest for answers is heading nowhere at this rate.

Back