Wireless speed/signal problems

Hi folks, I'm having problems with my wireless connection on my desktop computer and I'm really stuck! The signal regularly drops to 1 bar and the speed will fluctuate anywhere between <1Mbps up to 11Mbps (although it's usually at the lower end), and sometimes it will lose connection with the router all together.
I've used a Belkin USB dongle and more recently a TP-Link PCI Express card, both N150. My router is a D-Link N150. Both the dongle and the adapter have had the same issues. In comparison, my Lenovo Z570 laptop and before it got destroyed my housemate's HP laptop had no issues, which basically leaves me with just my PC as a possible cause or some sort of setting somewhere.

PC spec:
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LE
Processor: i3

If anyone has any ideas I would be really grateful!

Yes my router has a password. And given that the issue isn't present on my laptop and is only present from one computer, I would highly doubt that bandwidth theft could be to blame.

Model is TL-WN781ND. Again given that the exact same issue is present when using a Belkin N150 adapter, I wouldn't expect the problem to be with this piece of hardware. It's the only adapter available. Otherwise I have an ethernet port but it's not in use nor has it ever been.

Model is TL-WN781ND. Again given that the exact same issue is present when using a Belkin N150 adapter, I wouldn't expect the problem to be with this piece of hardware. It's the only adapter available. Otherwise I have an ethernet port but it's not in use nor has it ever been.
Which version is it? V1 or V2? Chose your model here: http://www.tp-link.us/support/download/?model=TL-WN781ND
Download the firmware and see if that works.

Already done that but I've tried it again and it seems to be running good at the moment. I'll have to keep an eye on it though before I can say for sure.

Already done that but I've tried it again and it seems to be running good at the moment. I'll have to keep an eye on it though before I can say for sure.
Alright. If it doesnt work, talk to support and if you are still under warranty, request a new card.

Back