Wireless, surround sound gaming headsets?

Aurora-Storm

Thanks to everyone who offered advice in my last thread, but... after pouring over a ton of research and reviewing my options and gaming environment, it's clear that a 5.1 surround sound set-up wouldn't come to justice in the space that I have. Plus with my insomniatic hours, a headset would be kinder to the other people living here.

Do any of you have recommendations for wireless, surround sound gaming headsets? A non-wireless would be irritating as hell, since I get up to attend to other tasks and walk around my space a lot. Which is really annoying, since the ones that look best, quality wise, are Sennheiser wired sets (like the PC 363D). I owned one of their noise-cancelling on-ear headsets a long time ago, and I loved it (up until the wire near the base shredded from constant bumping around in my bag).

I am hoping to get:
+ Wireless
!+ Surround sound
!+ Mid-range or higher audiophile level quality in terms of the sound itself
+ Comfortable as technologically possible, since I will be wearing the thing for 6hrs+ easily
+ Long-lasting battery; for same reason as above
+ Open
+ Good for both music and ambient gaming sound

Above all, I am looking for QUALITY - something that will last, with great sound, long battery life and very comfortable. Even recommending me companies would be a great place to start, since I haven't gotten much further than Sennheiser. Let's just say I'm unlimited in terms of price, since this is one indulgence that I am willing to spend on.

Hi again.

Define 'surround sound' headset? Because the actual proper product is a headset that has three speakers on each ear minimum. Front, Rear, Middle. Software solutions these days (as found on most headphones that say 'surround') are pretty good, but there are pseudo-surround and do not ever live up to the original.

Otherwise, any headphone can do 'virtual surround' as long as your sound card supports it (most do, on onboard audio, if your PC is <5yr old).

With wireless, you'll most likely run into audio hiss issues, which can be ultra-annoying. I'd test this out before making a purchase. Battery life isn't going to be anything exciting either, I'd imagine.

I don't have particular models in mind, but you need to be looking at the top-end gaming series headsets, such as the above G930. Highly recommended to get a demo before purchase.

By 'surround sound', I'm mostly referring to models that allow for 5.1 or 7.1, given sound card support. (I'll need a new sound card for this, since my onboard is about 6 or 7 years old now). For instance, Razer Tiamat offers "True-to-life 7.1 Surround Sound from 10 discrete drivers", although it's a wired device.

I was pretty worried that wireless would mess with the quality, but I can't imagine I'd be happy tethered to my desk, either. I guess I have to go all out in terms of price/quality or I begin to seriously sacrifice quality of sound for wireless capability.
Fortunately I'm not worried about interference, since it's a house and there are literally no other wireless devices here, aside from some wireless TV headphones that'll be used a floor down. Might become a problem when my last wired Logitech Trackball finally breaks and I have to buy their wireless version... ?

Was looking into demo-ing, definitely. Worst case scenario if I can't find anywhere that demos them, I buy several in a big box store, try them out, and return them after.

By 'surround sound', I'm mostly referring to models that allow for 5.1 or 7.1, given sound card support. (I'll need a new sound card for this, since my onboard is about 6 or 7 years old now). For instance, Razer Tiamat offers "True-to-life 7.1 Surround Sound from 10 discrete drivers", although it's a wired device.

Yeah, you seem to understand it okay. Drivers = speakers, and you need individual drivers to get proper 'surround'. I expect that you'll need to output either: a) analogue 3x 3.5mm plugs to headphone amp; or b) optical; to get the 'surround' working on the good headphones with individual drivers - which is why you say you might need new sound card.

But, be careful, as the linked Logitechs above say they have Dolby 5.1 and 7.1 surround, but this is virtual only. Tech specs of each headphone will tell you how many drivers they have.

Yeah Logitech ones have virtual drivers. The ones with individual drivers are more expensive.

Back