Witcher 2, high GPU temps

andy06shake

Started playing Witcher 2 and i am experiencing extremly high GPU temps 85c-90c during the cut scenes and 70c-88c while playing. The card idles at 50c-55c runiing 2 24" monitors. My CPU tops out at only 42c-48c and idles at 38c-42c. I can tell that this title is GPU intensive but my EVGA GTX 570 is a relitivley new card and i would think should only be averaging around 70c with this title.

I have an Antec 900 case with 1 200mm top mounted fan and 4 120mm back, side and front mounted fans. The case and GPU are also dust free and clean as a whistle so air flow should be optimum.

I am running EVGA precision with the fan speed set to maximum (85% cant go any higher for some reason) and the game set to 1980*1050 with everything on medium. Can anyone tell me if these temperatures are acceptable/safe, and if anyone else is experiencing such high temperatures with this game?

What are you using to monitor the GPU temps? I would suspect that the temps are actually okay. If you are not having game play issues, I would not worry about the temps

Im using EVGA Precision latest version, also its an EVGA card i have so i would imagine the software is reporting the correct temps. There are no issues with game play, 60-70fps, no artifacts. What i dont get is why the temps are higher during the cuts scenes. I would think more GPU processing power would be used while actualy playing. I know the max temp for these cards is 105c but in my opinion 90c cutting it quite fine. I dont know why EVGA Precision wont let me take the fan speed up to 100% as there was no problem in doing so with my old card a GTX275. Anybody any ideas?

Any GPU/CPU temp reading accuracy is affected by the motherboard... I still will advise you to disregard the temp readings altogether and enjoy your games. You have a good airflow case. Let it do it's work. I have the Antec 300

I have an ASUS P5N32-E mainboard. Thanks for your advise Tmagic650. Im going to upgrade in July anyway, so cant wait to go Sandybridge and Core I7.

Back