WMA File issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies if this is not the right forum, or even the right kind of board to ask this question in, but I'm not sure where to look for info at this point.

My fiance had an old Dell that recently stopped working. I took the HDD out and put it in a usb enclosure, and I'm able to access the files just fine, so I've copied them all to my computer. The photos and other files she had are intact as far as I can tell. However, Every single WMA file I've tried to play on my PC hasn't worked. When I try to play the files I either get silence or blips of noise. It seems to me like I don't have the right codec, or the file is encoded with a different codec, but still presents itself like a WMA file. All of the files were ripped from CDs in WMP.

Can anyone give me some advice about how to get the files to play right, or maybe just point me in the right direction?

What could've happened is that Windows Media Player will rip files from a CD but protect in a way that they won't play on another computer (I'm assuming they were ripped from WMP though).

I don't think there's a way to remove this sort of DRM (without bringing some unwanted attention to the forums) other than putting them back on the old computer & burning them onto a regular audio CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back