Won't boot most of the time

steelth

I got a hp xw4600, 6 g ram, 3.14 core 2 duo and a 160g hd, with a 600g slave.I installed windows vista it ran perfect so I updated it , restarted it a few times for updates.Shut it off next day I turn it on and it won't boot .I tried it in safe mode it froze , I tried normal mode and it goes straight to a blank screen and my mouse shuts off. I tried last known configure ,it goes blank and mouse shuts off.I tried this several times then it boots up,, again restart it several times and shut it off next day same thing only it don't come back on .... Any ideas?

Last edited:
It's almost like the hd is blank with no windows on it I check the boot list it shows the right order so ,,,hum
thx for the help

Ya I can get into bios and sometimes it will boot into windows but not always ... I never had a bad hd so maybe your right. I did a dps test on it and it passed so?

Have you thought maybe a bad install of your os, or software program you have installed causing this. I would most likely think the hard drive. But there is a possibility its not the hard drive and just your os.

So it started working great for a long time . then yesterday I unplugged it and moved it and now it is doing it again. so I removed the Hard drive and put another one in and it still does it . I put the windows disc in and it asks if I want to boot from disc I said yes , then it says loading windows files when the bar reaches the end and then goes blank and does nothing I let it set like that for 30 mins with no change. "sigh"

This PC is known for having sub-standard power supplies. Check the motherboard for bulging or exploded capacitors around the CPU
bad-capacitors-computer-repair-wilmington-nc.jpg

I checked but didn't see any exploded or bulging .I saw a post on microsoft website that said to change the boot order in bios then apply to default so I did and then windows started to install ,"BUT" I had the wrong windows disc in so I stopped it and put in the right 1 .Went back to bios hit start with default and now I have no picture on my monitor,,

I checked 3 times it said cd/dvd driver was first 2nd was Hd and 3rd usb, I'm just kinda stuck now and so upset I'm thinking of scraping it. :mad:

Disable the second and third boot devices and see if the CD/DVD boots... Just for testing. The CD/DVD may be failing

I thought of that as well and already replaced the cd/dvd with a new one and then replaced the hd with a new one as well before I had my blank that I have now. I thought maybe the blank screen was due to me setting it to default while having a new video card in it . I am at a loss , so I tried removing the video card and then putting it back in but still no picture.

Back