Would like for BOTH Headphones and Internal Speakers to work at same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'll try to explain this as best as I can. I have a Compaq 8510w Workstation Laptop, and I am trying to get the internal Laptop speakers and some external speakers to work and both make sound at the same time. I have a secondary monitor that has speakers, and it's speakers connect through the headphone jack. So I would like to use the secondary monitor's external speakers, but I would also like the internal speakers in the laptop to work as well, to kinda make some version of surround sound, and just to generally boost the volume of my system. Is there a hardware or software change that I can make to make this work? I have a microphone and headphone jack in the front of the laptop, and in the back I have a green and blue jack. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need more information I"d be more than happy to help in any way, thank you,
-Neo1Code

If it's being held back because the motherboard is incapable of sending a signal to both jacks at the same time (very possible/likely), I'm not sure what there is that you can do.

Is there a way to tell if this is the cause of the problem? I messed around with all of my audio options, tried upgrading the driver, I've hooked the external speakers into every port available, and i reinstalled the monitor software thinking that maybe they had an application for it. I don't know what else my options are, but I find it weird that there isn't some kind of work around or registry change that can be made. Thank you once again for any help,
-Neo1Code

Not exactly sure how you would check on a laptop. Generally it lets you know to some extent within the motherboard manual of a desktop motherboard.

Meh I doubt there is anything you can do in the Registry, however, there very well might be a work-around of sorts :). Sadly, I am weak with multimedia related subjects, so I'll b*tt out...

*Edit*

Yes, it stars out the word "b u t t".

So then is they're maybe some sort of software that does this? Or does anyone know where in the computer's memory does it tell it to shut off one when the other is on. I know that there is an actual cut off switch when you have the jack pluged in, but I figured that maybe there was something. Any help that anyone could offer. Thank you very much,
-Neo1Code

headphone inputs are normally called speaker cut-off socket.

what you have right now in your laptop is a double pole,single throw
switching headphone socket.

i know you're aware of that
Neo1Code said:
I know that there is an actual cut off switch when you have the jack pluged in

that switch is within (inside) the headphone socket.

and everytime you plug in a jack to it,it will push the contact that will
disable/cut-off the speaker line level.

so,that headphone socket normally has 5 pins,soldered to the
motherboard.

de-soldering one of those pins (depends on your motherboard's
diagram layout) will throw audio signal to internal speakers &
output simultaneously.

but i dont suggest doing it so.unless you have a knowledge in
electronics & willing to take the risk.(will void the warranty).

just trying to explain that you cannot overcome the limitations
of a hardware using a software. ;)

You are wrong

just trying to explain that you cannot overcome the limitations
of a hardware using a software.

I was able to disable my laptop's internal speakers through the operating system interface, on Ubuntu and Fedora. Probably it can be done on every other Linux distro that is based on ALSA.

They really let you do it there through the OS GUI. I did not even have to open the terminal for doing it.

With merely my mouse, without unplugging my external speakers, I was able to switch between only my external speakers are operating, and bothe my external and internal speakers are operating.

Here is the link for how to do it in Fedora:

rubenlaguna.com/wp/2007/01/10/how-to-disable-internal-loadspeaker

Conclusion: it can be done through software.

PROBLEM: I WANT TO DO IT ON WINDOWS XP BUT IT SEEMS NOT TO BE THERE ON THE NATIVE INTERFACE OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM. AND I CANNOT FIND ANY 3RD SIDE APPLICATION THAT WILL LET ME DO IT.

ANY IDEAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back