1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Would this work for a 12 year old

By Alicia Crozier ยท 6 replies
Oct 3, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Wanting to get our master 12 a desktop computer for Christmas. He likes to play games and make you tube videos.
    Would a comp with the following specs be suitable?
    CPU SPEED 2ghz

  2. delrey

    delrey TS Booster Posts: 169   +48

    A little more information will help. What games does he like to play? What CPU is it? Graphics card makes a big difference too in a gaming machine, do you have that info? Is this a pre-built (off the shelf) or are you building this for him?
  3. erickmendes

    erickmendes TS Evangelist Posts: 493   +218

    Agree with @Kevin Schmidt , that's too loose specs... Need more information, what games are intended to play on this machine and at which resolution would help a lot. Also form factor: mini itx, or common formats (micro/mini/atx..), a flashy computer case or a subtle one... Feed us (with info)!!!
  4. Jollyriffic

    Jollyriffic TS Member Posts: 57   +24

    The fact it has 2ghz cpu, going to say NO.
    because of youtube, my son has a 8-core, encoding videos is crazy cpu intensive. he was 8 at the time I gave him it, and I'm usually broke. took water damage on my computer from 2012 to upgrade.... so I'm also pretty stingy with spending money.

    Here's the thing, spend the money now, so you don't have to keep getting bugged about upgrades. also, these are developing ages, if he gets really into video editing since he/she will have the hardware, even if they don't make it big on youtube, this could lead to a job in the field. If nothing else, an awesome system would at least let him/her play games with mind melting fps, and really, that'show you get your parental alone time.. and drink your wine or beer in peace.
    erickmendes likes this.
  5. cliffordcooley

    cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,041   +4,765

    I agree with all three above.
  6. Cycloid Torus

    Cycloid Torus Stone age computing. Posts: 3,672   +1,032

    Windows 10 - 64 bit
    CPU: Quad core, minimum 3 Ghz
    Motherboard: USB 3 , SATA 3, 4 slots for RAM
    RAM Memory: 8 GB in 2 slots with 2 slots open for expansion
    GPU: minimum either nVidia GTX 1050 Ti or AMD RX 470
    Monitor: 20" minimum
    Speakers: initially basic stereo like the Altec Lansing BXR1220 (more than this if he is an audiophile)
    Webcam: 1080p with a good/responsive mic

    Key element in gift of a first system for a pre-teen is 'RULES'. Our decision on this was to locate the system in an open location where Mom or Dad might walk by at any time. We set limits on gaming / entertainment hours and required a review of completed homework before any non-school computer use after dinner. Addictive gaming is a very real issue. Addictive social media is as well. We found discussing computer use on a regular basis was a good idea - something like coaching during Driver's Learning period which came several years later.

    This worked for us and for our child (he manages IT at a medium sized manufacturer these days after completing his BS several years ago).
  7. Jollyriffic

    Jollyriffic TS Member Posts: 57   +24

    Quad core isn't a definitive, say it's an FX chip, it's not going to be nearly comparable to an i5 3ghz
    8gb is ok, but for content creation you really want 16gb min (video creation is under content creation).
    a gtx 1050, in my opinion isn't a gpu that's designed for gaming, bare min you want a 1060. lets not forget part of this content creation your child likely will be doing does warrant good looking graphics. Content is 50% quality video, 50% caster or commentator. While a commentator might be awesome, if their content looks like ****, I don't want to watch it.

    I don't subscribe to the "gaming addiction", I'm a gamer, and if you ask me to do something I'm going to tell you "after this match is over". now if it's a pausable game, then there's like a 90% chance ill pause. The other 10% is if im in a battle like dark souls, you need to have your rotations and all that, focused.
    I find that most people that subscribe to the gaming addiction are those that demand things be done right when it's said. Kids are people too, while they should respect their elders, most elders don't show them any respect and start flipping out on them because they didn't shut off the game at the barking orders of the parent. (not saying this is you, just things I've observed even in myself).
    Video Games are identical to when we were kids and went outside to play. only kids today are vastly superior to us in problem solving, dexterity, and planning due to games. Most parents don't understand this because all they see is the kid staring at the tv/monitor, they have no idea how difficult games are, how you have to push yourself to be better, plan ahead, and push the limits of your reaction times.
    Social media is also like our going out when we were kids, only they can see in real time, what others are up to. It's no more addictive than when you were a kid and walked miles to your friends house to go walk or ride bikes for miles. As time changes, so changes how people interact with one another.
    These are just my views on it all, there do need to be boundaries but at the same time leaway.
    no matter what path you take in parenthood, our job is to give our children the tools they need to succeed. I personally think that equipping your child with a bad-*** computer is one of those tools that lets them open their creativity and figure out what they want to do with their lives. Should it not fall into becoming the next large youtuber/twitch streamer, that's fine, they will take that failure and learn from it.

    This xmas, will likely be the first time I don't spoil my kids. Dad bought himself a 1950x.. While I spoil my kids with amazingly expensive single items, they don't act spoiled or entitled. They understand why they got that expensive thing they asked for. They are told to try new things, strive to succeed, and when failure happens figure out what specifically you weren't doing that others were and if that's something you can do, or where things went wrong and what could have been done to avoid it.

    that's just how I'm navigating the wacky world of parenting, there's no 1 path that works.. we're all going to scar our children somehow.. just hopefully the kids grow up saying my dad/mom gave me every advantage to reach my potential.
    cliffordcooley likes this.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...