Would you pay up to $1,999 for one of these custom RTX 4090 cards?

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? PC gamers with deep pockets who want the best hardware as soon it launches will have October 12 down in their diaries. That's when the first of Nvidia's RTX 4000 series, the RTX 4090, arrives. In preparation, Newegg has listed several third-party cards, which range in price from Nvidia's suggested $1,599 MSRP right up to $1,999.

Newegg has ten RTX 4090 cards listed, including models from MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus. The prices start at $1,599 for the Gigabyte Windforce and reach $1,999 for the Asus ROG OC Edition.

One of the cards, the $1,749 MSI Suprim, has an AIO hybrid cooling solution in the form of a 240mm radiator and a pair of Silent Gale P12 120m fans. The most expensive of the bunch, Asus' factory-overclocked, triple-fan ROG OC, recommends a 1,000W PSU—Nvidia recommends a minimum 850W for its upcoming flagship.

None of these cards are cheap, of course, and many consumers are less willing to make big purchases during this period of spiking inflation and the rising cost of living. It'll also be interesting to see what happens with the scalpers; will people be happy to pay even more for the RTX 4090, especially when the, admittedly less-powerful, high-end Ampere cards have seen their prices fall so much?

Some people are looking to boycott the Lovelace cards over their high costs and (probably) the RTX 4080 12GB/RTX 4070 controversy. You could always try winning one.

Now that Ethereum has switched from proof-of-work to proof-of-stake, we're not going to see cryptominers bulk buy the RTX 4090 cards, something that was a huge problem for this generation when crypto prices hit an all-time high.

October 12 is also when Intel finally launches its Arc A770 graphics card. It starts at just $329, and team blue says the Alchemist entry will offer performance somewhere between the RTX 3060 and RTX 3060 Ti. That's a far cry from the RTX 4090, which is so fast that Blizzard had to increase Overwatch 2's frames-per-second cap; it can push the upcoming game to above 500fps at native 1440p, but then the RTX 4090 is five times more expensive than the Arc A770.

Permalink to story.

I don't mind the price, but I'd rather pay that for AMD card. I rather support company which creates a lot of good, open solutions for the market than one which clearly opposes it, and if this means I will have to survive with 183 fps instead of 197 I'm fine with that ;)
And no, no boycott gona happen. A lot of people will buy nVidia cards just because it surely be powerful. Everything which can be done, will be done by AMD and Intel in attempt to create a solid and market - friendly solutions. Gsync is a scam but people still paying $200 more to get that - they will buy a 2k card without a second thought.

I have deep pockets. I paid 2000 dollars for a 6900 because of the fu***ng miners. Now there is no excuse to ask for that money but Huang's greed. Besides 4090 is bulky and power hungry. Ugly card. My money will not go to Lovelace ever. Waiting for RDNA 3.

While I could definitely afford it, frankly, I just wouldn't buy a video card for that price. So sure, I'll publicly join in on the boycott since I technically wasn't going to buy anything in the first place.

These days I'm all about bang for buck anyway, and hey, the top end flagship cards never delivered on that.

I didn't buy a 3000 series card at insane prices, I'm not going to start now. Ofc, pricing is debatable, some would argue market dictates by supply and demand, etc, Idk, but I suspect something is really off, because let's face it, most people can't even afford current mid range and the bulk of them made the most sales. And mining is dead, so what gives? You can't keep prices that high without demand. So, I suspect Nvidia and AMD will hit a brick wall soon, face first and there will be a change in their policy. Until then, I'd say fxck 'em, I'm better off playing chess or something. I don't boycott, I just don't care until they come back to their senses!

As with the 'giveaway' I don't think you can honestly call it just 2000 USD since chances are most people, even if they have a computer, won't have an adequate PSU for it or a case where it can fit. 1500 watt PSUs are still starting at what, 400 usd?

So in reality we're talking about 2500-3000 range just to be able to run it and that's still assuming open air benches for your 'case' since even most atx cases probably won't be able to fit these cards.

Realistically, this pretty much demands that you go with a custom loop specially if you pair it with a decently high end CPU like the 12900k or the 7950x both of which pretty much require custom loops anyway all on their own.

The fact that this is the way the market is trending is what made me take a long lasting decision: My current modest desktop (5600g + 3060, itx size) will be my last desktop build. I'm just not going to support this nonsense anymore: I'll just use laptops and refuse to play any games that just won't run decently on a reasonable power constrain, which is honestly not many as most games never actually require you to enable ray tracing or turn it on by default...So far.

While I could definitely afford it, frankly, I just wouldn't buy a video card for that price. So sure, I'll publicly join in on the boycott since I technically wasn't going to buy anything in the first place.

These days I'm all about bang for buck anyway, and hey, the top end flagship cards never delivered on that.
Actually the 4090 price isn't bad
The prices for the 4080s though are

For us europeans, with the eur below usd and VAT on top, most new hardware prices seem really bad

Actually the 4090 price isn't bad
The prices for the 4080s though are

For us europeans, with the eur below usd and VAT on top, most new hardware prices seem really bad
Dude, these videocards cost more than my first car. They represent a 100% premium over the 20 series. And while the argument could be made that 100% price increase for 100% more performance is justified, I'm not going ti make that argument

Dude, these videocards cost more than my first car. They represent a 100% premium over the 20 series. And while the argument could be made that 100% price increase for 100% more performance is justified, I'm not going ti make that argument
Historically these performance uplifts were not met with price increases of this grandeur, it was just progress, could see a flagship costing $50-100 at launch, however prices would eventually come back down. 30 series is the first time I can recall a 2 year old generation which is about to be replaced is still selling at or above MSRP, again 2 years after launch! So why would Nvidia not take advantage of this?

Historically these performance uplifts were not met with price increases of this grandeur, it was just progress, could see a flagship costing $50-100 at launch, however prices would eventually come back down. 30 series is the first time I can recall a 2 year old generation which is about to be replaced is still selling at or above MSRP, again 2 years after launch! So why would Nvidia not take advantage of this?
I would take advantage of it, too, if I was in nVidia's position. Fact of the matter is that I AM NOT in their position as are millions of other consumers. I'm going to have to buy a new powersupply just to use their card? I almost think they intentionally released this in the winter so people don't care about the 450+ watts of bull **** going into their gaming room.

People complain about GPU prices but that's because they are just filled with envy at not being able to afford the top card, there are plenty of low/mid range options at good prices at the moment.

The 4090 seems to have a decent performance uplift, plus huge vram plus very good workmanship, even in the models that are around MSRP.
It is not for everyone sure, but the pricing makes sense. Premium pricing for a premium product.

The 4090 seems to have a decent performance uplift, plus huge vram plus very good workmanship, even in the models that are around MSRP.
It is not for everyone sure, but the pricing makes sense. Premium pricing for a premium product.
I'm not refering to just the 4090. The 4090 is cool and a performance badass, I won't knock it on that front. And, like you said, it is a premium product. However, it's not just the 4090. if the 4070(4080 12gb) costs $900, what is the 4060 going to cost? Are we going to have "mid ranged" cards that cost $500?

There is a lot more going on than just rich people paying for rich people graphics cards. I can afford a 4090, that doesn't mean I think that the VALUE of a 4090 is there to justify the cost.

When you get to a point where you have money you have to look at expensive purchases and think, "is the value here to justify buying this." I cannot justify the cost of a 4090. I would like to add that cards in the $500 price range are not midranged. I'm sure the 4060 will be a powerhouse, but I also think, that the 4060 in no way will be a midranged card. People can hide behind inflation or better performance numbers all they way, it's not going to be a midranged card. They are inflating GPU prices.

I'm also willing to look at this from a business perspective, their costs HAVE gone up. but hiding behind raising prices as a justification to inflate their own prices is just wrong. We, as consumers, should not stand for this.

I'm not refering to just the 4090. The 4090 is cool and a performance badass, I won't knock it on that front. And, like you said, it is a premium product. However, it's not just the 4090. if the 4070(4080 12gb) costs $900, what is the 4060 going to cost? Are we going to have "mid ranged" cards that cost $500?

There is a lot more going on than just rich people paying for rich people graphics cards. I can afford a 4090, that doesn't mean I think that the VALUE of a 4090 is there to justify the cost.

When you get to a point where you have money you have to look at expensive purchases and think, "is the value here to justify buying this." I cannot justify the cost of a 4090. I would like to add that cards in the $500 price range are not midranged. I'm sure the 4060 will be a powerhouse, but I also think, that the 4060 in no way will be a midranged card. People can hide behind inflation or better performance numbers all they way, it's not going to be a midranged card. They are inflating GPU prices.

I'm also willing to look at this from a business perspective, their costs HAVE gone up. but hiding behind raising prices as a justification to inflate their own prices is just wrong. We, as consumers, should not stand for this.
I am not so sure about their costs going up - sure 5nm is expensive, but the die size is getting smaller especially in the 4080s
The 4080s are too expensive, I agree. Once AMD gets out their cards as well, and we have official reviews of all we will have a clearer picture, but for me right now it is 3090 (ti) or 4090 for Nvidia models.
If these are above your price point, current AMD cards have very decent prices (RX 6600, 6700, 6800, 6800 XT)
I will probably skip this gen entirely, due to a combination of factors (eur going down, gpu prices going up, already have a good gpu)

At a minimum wait for AMD 7000 series for a potential price correction especially with those air cooled 4090s at a $400 price premium. The only one that looks promising is the Suprim hybrid card. Nvidia dropped the ball with lack of dp 2.0, they could have cornered the market with Gsync ultimate 2.0 with dp 2.0 with no competition. While I don't like proprietary technology but traditionally proprietary technology leads with innovation and open standards leap frog each other. Currently we have stagnated display technology and hopefully open standard will lead with innovation. If AMD 7000 series gets dp 2.0 then Nvidia will become peasant status 😜. Nvidia is past overdue for an ego correction!

Back