X800GTO Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Asus EAX800GTO crashes when running 3dmark05. The computer usually reboots, if not, the screen freezes.

I installed Battlefield: Vietnam, and the screen freezes as soon as the menu screen is reached (which shouldnt be graphics-intensive?)

I've run memtest without failure, all my drivers are up to date. I have Windows XP Pro/SP2, and already I've installed the AMD X2 drivers and the Microsoft dual core hotfix.

I'm pretty sure it's the PSU or the Graphics Card that's the root cause.
My PSU is rated to 420W, made by "TCStar".

In speedfan, the voltage readings are:
Vcore1: 1.34v -1.36v
Vcore2: 2.67v stays constant
+3.3v: 3.41v
+5v: From 2.01 to 4.41, extremely large fluctuations. I have all my fans connected to one molex connector, is this why?
+12v: 12.10v No change at all, very constant.

-12v: -6.52v, -3.89v only shows those 2 readings.
-5v: -1.28v, -0.78v keeps changing
+5v (again?): 3.3v, 4.8v, large fluctuations as well
VBat: 4.08 constant.

Can anyone please explain what those readings mean? I don' t know much about PSUs.

Setup: Everything is brand new.
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard, newest revision with the passive chipset heatsink. F10 BIOS.
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ Dual Core w/stock heatsink and fan.
2GB Transcend RAM (4x 512MB), timings 3-3-3-7. Running in dual channel.
ASUS EAX-800GTO graphics card, not overclocked.
Seagate 7200.7 160GB Hard Drive, SATA.
TCStar 420W PSU
Sony DVDRW Drive
Mitsumi Floppy Drive

Thanks.

According to those voltage readings, you should change your PSU very soon, regardless of your video card issues.
The 5V voltage should never go below 4.6-4.5V (even that would be a big fluctuation). My guess is that the PSU can't really provide the advertised 420 watts, maybe not even 300.

Are the amps per rail shown on a sticker on your PSU? If yes, please post how many amps your power supply can provide on the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails.

Edit: vnf4ultra made a pretty good recommendation on what to buy as a replacement.

On the 12v theres 2;
+12v1 = 16A
+12v2 = 15A

+5v = 30A
+3.3v = 28A

And there's another 5v, a little different;
+5VSB = 2.5A

no idea what those readings mean.

Oh, and the card itself has no external power connector, it's completely powered by the motherboard from the pci-e slot.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back