Wanted: Affordable Graphics Card

[FONT=arial]I've been super impressed with how helpful and knowledgeable people are on this site. I was hoping to get some help of my own...I'm looking to upgrade my computer's integrated graphics card with something that will allow me to enjoy games like Fallout New Vegas, Mass Effect 2, and Oblivion. My budget is limited to something close to $200. My computer is running Windows 7 Professional. Here are a few specs:[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]RAM: 4GB[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]System Type: 64-bit OS[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]I know power supply is a huge determining factor but I don't understand how to make anything of the info there. This is what it says:[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]AC Input (47-63Hz): 100-127V/6A[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]200-240/4A[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]DC Output: +5V.../25A , +12V.../14A[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]+3.3V.../18A , -12V.../0.8A[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]+5VSB.../2A[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]+5V & +3.3V Shall Not Exceed 165W[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]+5V & +12V Shall Not Exceed 218W[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Max. Output Power: 250 W[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]If my power supply is too limiting for a halfway decent graphics card I'd be willing to upgrade. If you think that ought to be done, what would be an affordable and compatible option?[/FONT]

Your power supply is a 250W, you can see the listing under Max Output Power. You will need another power supply before attempting to add a graphics card of any rating. Before we continue, we need to determine if your case will support a power supply replacement and graphics card.

We went down this road the other day in another thread and after suggesting several cards, we discovered the case was too small to house any graphics card.

I'm assuming that this is a pre-built computer (that you did not put together yourself), so what is the make and model of the computer? That will help us determine what your case is and if you can handle a new PSU and Graphics card. If you built the computer yourself, then what is the make and model of the case you bought? If you cant determine what it is, take a couple clear pictures of it and post them here.

If you're looking at case specs, this is what will tell you:

PSU: ATX support.
Graphics card: PCI expansion bay (99% will have this)

As it turns out I have an identical case to that one. The front cover is different, but the case itself was used in several HP's and Compac's. It is a Micro ATX case that will support a new GPU and ATX Power Supply. I don't think a long graphics card will fit, but you should be able to fit a modest gaming card in the case. However you will need a new PSU before ever attempting to power a graphics card. You definitely want a cool running card as the case is not designed with great ventilation.

I'm considering getting the following:

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($62.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Would that work, or does anybody see a problem with that?
Well, based on your pre-liminary specs of your PC, you dont have an extreme amount of room with your CPU, but no matter what the 7750 will be a humongous improvement. However since your upgrading as it is, you might want to just go for a 7770 because the price difference is very minute when compared to the 7750. Link Asus HD 7770.

Just some food for thought, though your first choices are excellent as well so either way you wont be dissappointed. But I think the power and price difference between the 7750 and 7770 is worth it even in this case.

Back