Xbox 360 USB storage confirmed, update coming April 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Following last week's rumors, Microsoft has confirmed plans to add USB storage support to the Xbox 360. On April 6, the company will release a system update via Xbox Live allowing any USB flash drive from 1GB and up to be used for storing game data, such as profiles, saves, demos, and more.

In a blog post, Microsoft's Larry Hyrb (aka Major Nelson) said the update will let users utilize as much as 16GB of a flash drive for game-related data, and up to two storage devices can be connected at once for a maximum capacity of 32GB. USB hard drives "may work" but you'll still be limited to 16GB of storage. The remaining space will be accessible with a computer.

After connecting the device, you'll have to head over to the memory section and configure it. You can perform a full format, or choose how much memory you want configured for the Xbox 360. Once that's done, the system will conduct a onetime performance and integrity check to ensure the drive is working properly.

Microsoft notes that while any flash drive can be used, it is partnering with SanDisk to release an Xbox 360-branded USB flash drive in May, which will come pre-configured. No price was given, but hopefully it's not as expensive as other Xbox 360 storage products.

Permalink to story.

Wow, this is great news.

Now why would someone choose to buy a model apart from the arcade? lol, I'm going for the arcade now!

Wow, this is great news.

Now why would someone choose to buy a model apart from the arcade? lol, I'm going for the arcade now!
I don't know much about the 360 myself, so I was wondering this exact same thing.

Nice the see the 360 catch up. Never had any troubles coping data to and from my ps3 via my external hdd or my 512mb memory stick.

LOL...you know what? If the XBox and PS3 keep up with these add-ons, they're going to end up building them into plain old PC's.

TomSEA, it would be more accurate to say they are slowing unlocking them into plain old PC's.

Smart PR move from Microsoft but still wish they would let you use your own HDD without issues. Looking around at prices an 8/16 GB flash drive runs for ~$20/$40, whereas you can buy the official 60/120 GB HDD from Microsoft for ~$80/$100 and soon to be 250 GB for $130 dollars. So you aren't really saving any money just paying less over all. But this is nice news for those who don't use the 360 often and want a little more space for content like myself. I personally would like to get a bigger HDD but don't feel like paying for the overpriced proprietary HDD's when I see $80 prices running for a 500 GB on Newegg.

Sweet! Thing is its limited but nice, if they allowed higher well we all know what would happen. Still someone might find some hack and probably remove that limit and you never know people are just gonna start dl games. Good luck looking forward to this feature. Nice birthday present :p

LOL...you know what? If the XBox and PS3
keep up with these add-ons, they're going to end up building them into plain old PC's.

They are PC's now, preconfigured, out of the box machines designed for one purpose. kinda like a Mac. Although I would Wish I could configure my own HDD for my 360. or Much Cheaper add-on HDD's from M$. M$ 360 drives are still twice the price of standard 2.5" drives.

Guest said:
M$ 360 drives are still twice the price of standard 2.5" drives.

More like triple and that's if you consider the 250gb $130 deal. But ya I agree wish we could =/ .

LOL, oops sorry! .. hello ...

nice MOVE MS ;) ... was about time!

humm, that gives me some idea though ...

i'll be back!

cheers!

the 360 uses a format called fatx32 any one who used anything before ntfs knows why there is a limitation

So I can carry my gamertag around with me? sweet no more spending ages sticking password in just to recover Gamertag.

Richy2k9 said:
LOL, oops sorry! .. hello ...

nice MOVE MS ;) ... was about time!

humm, that gives me some idea though ...

i'll be back!

cheers!

What a strange post?

Go on, say what you wanted to say?

Although I do agree with the one part of this comment, it is the right move from MS.

hi , i ahve a qeustion

can i still play downloaded games , when i update ??

PLS respont as soon as possible , TNX

awnser to ::::: zombie-dyl@hotmail.com

TNX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back