Xbox 360 USB storage update now live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

As expected, Microsoft has begun rolling out a new system update for the Xbox 360 that will finally add support for USB storage devices. This means users will be able to take their game saves, Xbox LIVE gamer profiles, demos or Arcade game downloads with them using a thumb drive with anywhere between 1GB and 16GB capacity.

Each console can have up to two devices registered to it and connected at once for a maximum capacity of 32GB. To use a USB flash drive, you must first configure it in the memory area of the 360's system settings menu, committing up to 16GB of space to console use exclusively. You can also hook up an external hard disk drive, of course, but no matter how large the drive is only a 16GB partition can be made.

To support the new functionality, Microsoft has partnered with SanDisk to sell pre-configured, 360-branded 8 and 16GB flash drives for release in May. Both are available for pre-order now priced at $35 and $70, respectively -- which, unsurprisingly, is quite expensive considering you can get the same amount of storage elsewhere for $15-30.

Permalink to story.

I find it a am musing everyone is making a big deal outa this. I was shocked to find out they were just releasing this feature as I don't own a 360. I just always assumed u could use whatever drive you wanted on a 360. On well happy my ps3 will let me us any FAT formatted drive. True I can only go up to 32 gigs on each drive but oh well.

"True I can only go up to 32 gigs on each drive but oh well."

What!!!!

I have two 500 GB disk connected to my PS3.

It's 16 GB on each device not 32. The total external storage is up to 32GB on up to 2 devices. Please re-read the article.

Anyways, this is total BS. With the flip of some numbers in a new system update they could theoretically enable unlimted external storage space. My guess is that they don't want to as they would personally lose money on the sales of the 'properly branded' drives.

He said he can only use 32gb on his PS3. Please re-read the post.

Sooo M$ you fight against Datel an now u want to sell your own USB storage device to continue the proud tradition of sucking the pockets of X-Box users? Why cant M$ give users more control over their console as the PS3? You use any storage device on the PS3.

Guest said:
"True I can only go up to 32 gigs on each drive but oh well."

What!!!!

I have two 500 GB disk connected to my PS3.

Oh well I might be wrong then, and +1 for the PS3.
I haven't used anything larger than a 2 gig flash drive. But I was under that impression from a article I was reading on changing out the PS3 hdd when it was talking about backing up your date.
....but you'll need to create partitions on large external hard drives because Windows can do only FAT32 on drives 32GB or smaller...
http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips/0,3800004921,62032875,00.htm

So maybe thats only true for backing up your data using the data backup utility.

I knew when I bought my xbox I was going to have to pay extra for a bigger HDD and for a memory card. I see this as a response to the Datel lawsuit but I feel I have benefited from it. MS added features while PS3 removes features.

So can I take my gamertag with me on my USB pen, using more than 1 360 it is a pain having to recover gamertag on each one.

M$ added what PS3 has since 2006 and more. Welcome to the tech world X-Box, tho still lacking...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back