Xbox boss: Microsoft could earn back its $7.5 billion Bethesda purchase without bringing...

Polycount

Staff
Forward-looking: Like it or not, Bethesda is joining the Microsoft family in the near future, further consolidating Microsoft's hold over first-person RPGs while giving it a foothold in several other genres, such as MMOs (courtesy of Elder Scrolls Online) and immersive sims (Dishonored).

What that might mean for the future cross-platform availability of Bethesda's upcoming epics, such as Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield, is still up in the air, but Xbox chief Phil Spencer did shed some light on the company's philosophy today.

While nothing is set in stone, when asked by Kotaku whether or not Microsoft could earn back its $7.5 billion purchase of Bethesda without selling the Elder Scrolls 6 on PlayStation, he replied with a firm "Yes."

Notably, he did go on to state that the deal was not penned just so Microsoft could rip games away from PlayStation users. "Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was, 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?'" Spencer says. "We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games."

Spencer clarifies that he was "just answering directly" the question that was posed to him, but his words nonetheless imply that Microsoft could be willing to make future Bethesda titles Xbox and Windows exclusives. At the very least, there would be no significant financial barrier preventing them from doing so. If not Starfield, perhaps Elder Scrolls 6, or even Fallout 5, whenever that releases.

Still, we're not looking to generate fear here. Microsoft could just as easily decide that the PR hit it would take by snapping up Bethesda's games and making them first-party exclusives wouldn't be worth the potential console sales revenue boost.

Frankly, we won't know precisely what Bethesda and Microsoft have planned for the former's future titles until they get properly revealed, so we should all stay tuned and wait for that day to come.

Permalink to story.

I don't see then cutting off an already established revenue stream just like that. I'm betting it will stay hypothetical (with side teams maybe working on MS only stuff).

When the guy extremely states and I quote ""Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was, 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?'" Spencer says. "We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games.""

And yet you somehow imagine the words that came out of his mouth being " his words nonetheless imply that Microsoft could be willing to make future Bethesda titles Xbox and Windows exclusives. "

In what language does "we want more people to play games not fewer" translate to "his words nonetheless imply that microsoft could be willing to make titles xbox & windows exclusive.

Like... thats almost like someone saying you almost fell off a cliff when you slipped on a lego in your home thats in a big city.

Whats next: Techspot CEO - we are no where near going out of business,You: techspot CEO nonetheless states the site is struggling to keep afloat, may shut down tomorrow.

I'll be surprised if The Elder Scrolls 6 is not going to be released for the PlayStation.

Really not liking the wording on this article, somehow Phil Spencer answering a hypothetical with yes but then explaining that it is not his (or the company's) intention at all immediately somehow means that they are considering not putting the games on the PS5

Really not liking the wording on this article, somehow Phil Spencer answering a hypothetical with yes but then explaining that it is not his (or the company's) intention at all immediately somehow means that they are considering not putting the games on the PS5
Speculation is fun brother but let's face it, there is no way in hell a Bethesda game is going to be on Playstation again.

I suspect in the short term they will have timed exclusives and release on Playstation once the benefits of exclusivity wane and the hype behind a title has faded. That would seem to make most sense to me. But it is just my opinion, like all of us who knows what they will really do.

Microsoft could always release big titles on XBox and PC first and then select ones on Playstation with a delay of six months to a year. Not sure how revenue would be vs. cost, but I personally would find this approach much better than what we have seen with exclusives so far.

“Still, we're not looking to generate fear here.”

But you still chose the clickbait headline and posted this article... well done :)

“Still, we're not looking to generate fear here.”

But you still chose the clickbait headline and posted this article... well done :)

Can't forget about them making it out that spencer said things that he very clearly didn't, Starting to see why adblock needs to be enabled with that bs tbh, I'd be pretty annoyed if someone imagined I said something I didn't despite them very clearly putting just above exactly what I said. It's beyond a joke at this point.

What so many of you are missing and why this article and so many others popped up all over.

He isn't say no to Playstation but he definitely isn't way saying yes. What he's doing is keeping people at bay until they are fully ready to announce their plans and can easily say...

"everyone's still got access through their phone pc or favorite streaming device... Oh and you can play them on this box thing we got you know if NONE of those other options are available."

They then continue... "we wanted to make gamers anywhere could have access to our games on our service and have worked hard to get it in as many places as possible"

When someone one asks why not on Playstation? "Well we really wanted to but Sony wouldn't allow our service on their device like EVERYONE else did, but rest assured all of you still have a number of options to play these amazing games!"

It's quite easy to see that this is the future they want being the Netflix of gaming isn't going to be about making back money its going to be about expanding your reach as far and wide as possible and anywhere that don't want your service is a dead end waste of time when it's global gaming access domination you're after.

It will be a repeat of the Ensemble studios buy, they bought them out and stopped all the games that came with it. Buy it up and bury it.

It will be a repeat of the Ensemble studios buy, they bought them out and stopped all the games that came with it. Buy it up and bury it.
Pretty sure Halo Wars still got released.... not to mention they stayed around for about 8 years after MS bought them.

Also, they paid less than 500 mill for Ensemble - they’ve paid a LOT more money for Bethesda... Don’t see them paying that much to simply bury them.

Why not? Sony does it with every in house title.

The thing ur forgetting is that Bethesda was a full time third party studio and Sony studios were exclusive studios all the time with the exception of Insomiac that developed a single game for xbox... It's different and if sony for e.g. buy a studio like Ubisoft or WB that would put them in the same situation and they would probably release some games on other platforms...

The thing ur forgetting is that Bethesda was a full time third party studio and Sony studios were exclusive studios all the time with the exception of Insomiac that developed a single game for xbox... It's different and if sony for e.g. buy a studio like Ubisoft or WB that would put them in the same situation and they would probably release some games on other platforms...
So let me note that Sony doesn't do it, except when they do.

Not to mention that when I said "Why not? Sony does it with every in house title" It was a statement of fact and not opinion regardless of where the developer came from.

It would be funny to see Xbox logos/ads running on a PS5. MS could advertise Xbox Series X benefits directly to PS5 users as well as future consoles.

Pissing myself laughing on this one.

People bigged up the PS5 saying Xbox had no decent exclusives, despite hardware wise clearly being the better console. Guess you guys got what you asked for!

Pissing myself laughing on this one.

People bigged up the PS5 saying Xbox had no decent exclusives, despite hardware wise clearly being the better console. Guess you guys got what you asked for!
I like to think Phil just got tired of the same lame excuses the ps5 fanboys kept giving when left with nothing to compete with Xbox series x perspective vs ps5.

PS fanboy when faced with the Microsoft approach this gen -

"so... They still don't got no games!!"

Phil -

"oh really? So best hardware and fully consumer friendly ecosystem isn't enough?"

"OK then..."

"yes the whole thing not just Bethesda all of it!"

Back