Xbox Live sets new user record with over two million playing at once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Despite banning about a million Xbox 360 owners from Live, Microsoft's online gaming service isn't lacking subscribers, not by far. Following the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the number of simultaneous players connected to the Xbox Live service set a new record, reaching an impressive two million active users.

A significant portion of that number are new owners of Modern Warfare 2, which has racked up 5 million copies across North America and the UK in its first 24 hours. While it's yet unclear how many of those copies belong to the Xbox 360, Microsoft has disclosed the number of people who were playing MW2 -- 995,462 -- representing almost half of the record-setting two million players.

Taking a small jab at Microsoft, one must wonder how much higher that record could have been if they hadn't just blocked a million consoles from the service, or perhaps it was an anticipated move given the expected blockbuster launch -- either way, it's an impressive figure.

Permalink to story.

Do you think you can find the number of copies sold for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC? I'm interested in seeing the numbers. I have a feeling that PC wins

PC has the most copies sold? With the install base the console has thats impossible.
Copies sold per platform goes in this order. 360, PS3, PC. With the 360 and PS3 probably duking it out. My optical drive in my 360 is going bad, even with the game installed to the HD it takes some fiddling to get it to run. Should have gotten it for my PS3.

that not true at all when it comes to install base, almost everyone I know or you know most probably have a computer, it is the biggest industry and I promise there are litterally millions more PC's out there than Xbox and ps3 put together!

true more people have computers but PC gaming has been dying out due to lack of developer support. Plus you forget about the strike against mw2 by PC gamers due to lack of dedicated servers and and 18 player limit for PC

Also how is saying Microsoft banning boxes is jabbing at them. They banned a bunch of people who find actually paying for a game below them and they still broke records for online play. kudos to Microsoft.

he forgot to use the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags in the last sentance

burty117 said:
that not true at all when it comes to install base, almost everyone I know or you know most probably have a computer, it is the biggest industry and I promise there are litterally millions more PC's out there than Xbox and ps3 put together!

True there are more PC´s then consoles, but its also true that its much easier to play "free version" (ie pirated copies) of a game on a PC then on a console. All games that is not for online play get copied alot more on PC then on consoles. There for lower sale figures.

I pirate a lot myslef, but only on PC, but on my Xbox360 i buy everything.
Demos for PC where usually in the past o poor way of deciding if a game is worth buying... so you try a copy foirst...then you buy or delete

A PC needs constant upgrade to be able to compete fairly in games against others, an xbox360 is the same for everyone...(besides your connection speed)

The consoles had 2.2 million pre-orders, i really doubt the PC got anywhere close to that. Based off of what i read from sites about 60% of the preorders were from the 360, 30% from the PS3 and the rest for the PC, i'm not sure if this is entirely true so take it with a grain of salt. Anyone can confirm if these #s are true?

paynetrain007 said:
true more people have computers but PC gaming has been dying out due to lack of developer support. Plus you forget about the strike against mw2 by PC gamers due to lack of dedicated servers and and 18 player limit for PC

Also how is saying Microsoft banning boxes is jabbing at them. They banned a bunch of people who find actually paying for a game below them and they still broke records for online play. kudos to Microsoft.

Agree with paynetrain007. I've read elsewhere for the game review from PC gamers. they are very discouraged by the lack of dedicated servers and limited number of players. i guess they could have expanded greatly into PC but figured AI is interested in pursuing console gamers. cant blame them since pirating console games is a little more difficult than PC.

Puiu said:
Do you think you can find the number of copies sold for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC? I'm interested in seeing the numbers. I have a feeling that PC wins

Urm, I doubt it! COD has been really popular with the console players and the lack of dedicated servers and options has put a lot of PC gamers (myself included) off.

Almost every xbox owner I know has got MW2, I can't say the same for my PC gaming friends - there are fewer and only 1 has bought it.

Now, compare those figures with the PC. There are millions more people playing PC games at any one time than the 360 ever will. I bet South Korea alone beats that with all of their Starcraft players!

As far as the PC version travesty, it's an unconscionable shame that Infinity Ward would take the platform that built and established the Call of Duty franchise and stab it in the back, turn the knife, and castrate it, while raping it and saying it should feel privileged. There are no reasons why IW simply TOOK OUT features that are in ALL of the previous versions ONLY for the PC. If they aren't intentionally trying to kill PC gaming, then I don't know what they're doing. I'm almost ashamed to say I bought the game.

360 sold more copies than ps3 because every modern warefare 2 commerical said plays best on 360 and never even said it was out for ps3, actually to this date im still not convinced it even exist bc not in any 1 ad or commerical have I seen it say ps3. Im pretty sure there are more pcs then there are wiis, ps3's, 360's, ds, psp, and techspot users x 20. PC didn't sell well bc the PC version is a directconsole port and we have higher standards and "not balanced for leen" lost them million of PC sales but alas they don't care i dont expect another PC cod after this one as they want you to buy the overpriced console one and just save the money of porting it to pc. WIth 5-6 changes to the PC version probably would of been the best of all version and sold millions more, look at cod 4, or better cod 1. The fan base is there, however, betrayed. Being a cod 1 player back in the day, cod 4 was okay, cod 6 im not even touching not even if a patch fixed it. Im waiting for BF BC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back