Xbox One wireless adapter for Windows 10 finally set for release on October 20th

midian182

Staff member

If, like me, you enjoy playing your PC games with an Xbox One controller but are sick of being tethered to a computer, then the news that Microsoft will soon be releasing a wireless dongle to allow cable-free gaming will be more than welcome.

Set for release on October 20th and priced at $25, the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows can be plugged into any PC, laptop or tablet running Windows 10 to allow Xbox One controllers to work wirelessly. The dongle can also be used with Xbox One games streamed to the PC.

The adapter has to be bound to your wireless controller and comes with a USB extender cable to improve its placement and accessibility. Using the adapter will also allow the controller to support in-game chat and stereo sound.

The full specifications are as follows:

• Play with your Xbox Wireless Controller on Windows 10 PCs, laptops, and tablets.
  • Use it with PC games, and Xbox One games streamed to Windows 10.
  • Simply bind the Adapter to your Wireless Controller to enable the same gaming experience you are used to on Xbox One, including in-game chat and high quality stereo audio.
  • Extend the USB connection to your Windows 10 PC, laptop, or tablet to enhance placement and accessibility to the Wireless Adapter with the included USB extender cable.
  • For use with the Xbox One Wireless Controller or Xbox Wireless Controller and controller compatible games on PCs and Tablets running Windows 10 with USB 2.0 or USB 3.0.
  • Not compatible with controllers designed for Xbox 360.
  • Significant firmware update may be required; ISP fees apply. Please visit xbox.com/xboxone/controllerupdate for update instructions.

Currently, anyone who wants to use the Xbox One controller with their PC has to connect the device to their computer using a micro-USB cable. There is a wireless gaming receiver available for the Xbox 360 controller, but most PC gamers would rather use the superior Xbox One device – even if it is wired. The upcoming Xbox One dongle isn’t compatible with controllers designed for the 360.

In addition to news of the wireless adapter, Xbox One’s Mike Ybarra tweeted that controller remapping, a feature currently only available on the $150 Elite controller, will soon be coming to all Xbox One controllers.

Permalink to story.

"...Using the adapter will also allow the controller to support in-game chat and stereo sound..."

Does the controller pass through the game sound, functioning then (with wired headphones) like a set of wireless headphones (like the Roku controller)?

It's about damn time. The controller has been out for YEARS. I got inpatient and bought a Dualshock 4 since it uses bluetooth but it doesn't really work (especially with windows 10) as a pc controller because you need extra software

Could come in handy if you like button mashing games, and most console games are nothing but button mashing. It'll help keep the wear & tear down on your nice, expensive, shiny albeit gimmicky RGB mech keyboard.

It's about damn time. The controller has been out for YEARS. I got inpatient and bought a Dualshock 4 since it uses bluetooth but it doesn't really work (especially with windows 10) as a pc controller because you need extra software

Wireless XBOX 360 controller for windows plus Microsoft driver. You're welcome.

"...Using the adapter will also allow the controller to support in-game chat and stereo sound..."

Does the controller pass through the game sound, functioning then (with wired headphones) like a set of wireless headphones (like the Roku controller)?

Yeah it does. In fact, under Windows 10, if you plug in the controller via USB, you can get audio now.

Hold on... so if you are using Windows 7 you're SOL? That's strange, I hope I'm wrong. I bought this controller recently and I really like it but the cable sometimes is a little annoying so I will consider buying the adapter IF it's compatible with Windows 7.

I was waiting a long time for this, now to wait even more before it becomes available in my country.

Yeah it does. In fact, under Windows 10, if you plug in the controller via USB, you can get audio now.
Looking on Amazon it looks like the controller with the PC cable does not have the 3.5mm port. Then newer wireless model does but does not include a cable. Can I just purchase a cable from Monoprice or Amazon?

Looking on Amazon it looks like the controller with the PC cable does not have the 3.5mm port. Then newer wireless model does but does not include a cable. Can I just purchase a cable from Monoprice or Amazon?

The newer controllers have the 3.5mm port, so its simple as plugging in a set of headphones. However, for the older controllers without them, you will need an Xbox One Headset Adapter, which will provide the 3.5mm port as well as buttons to adjust volume, and game/chat balance. The upcoming Xbox One Chat Pad will also provide this functionality, which is doubly useful because it would have blocked off the 3.5mm port on newer controllers that had them already anyway.

Yes, exactly.

Hold on... so if you are using Windows 7 you're SOL? That's strange, I hope I'm wrong. I bought this controller recently and I really like it but the cable sometimes is a little annoying so I will consider buying the adapter IF it's compatible with Windows 7.

Unfortunately, for audio, and wireless via this adapter, it's Windows 10 only. But you can plug it into a Windows 7 machine via USB and use it, but without audio via the controller.

Back