Xbox reference appears on Steam support page‎

Jos

Staff

Take this with a grain of salt but reports are emerging that Microsoft could be relaxing its stance on online content for the Xbox 360 by supporting Valve's Steamworks API on the console. Speculation started a few hours ago after Steam users discovered an 'Xbox support' option buried inside the platform's online support forums. However, so far it remains unclear if this is a hint of things to come or a simple goof from someone maintaining the support page.

Steamworks is currently available only on the PlayStation 3, but Valve has made no secret of their desire to have the service available on the Xbox 360 as well. That said, the company has also made it clear that the decision is not up to them, pointing to Microsoft's reluctance to open up the Xbox Live infrastructure.

rumor xbox finally opening steamworks

A buried menu option is far from conclusive evidence, and as of this writing neither company has come out to confirm or deny any sort of deal allowing Valve's third party content on Microsoft's Xbox 360 platform. Obviously, Steam does not sell or deal with Xbox games so the mention in its support forums is certainly curious.

We'll keep an eye open for any possible announcements at the Tokyo Game Show kicking off on September 15.

Permalink to story.

However, so far it remains unclear if this is a hint of things to come or a simple goof from someone maintaining the support page.

That this is a goof from someone maintaining the support page is more unlikely than all of this being actually true...

lawfer said:
However, so far it remains unclear if this is a hint of things to come or a simple goof from someone maintaining the support page.

That this is a goof from someone maintaining the support page is more unlikely than all of this being actually true...

Yeah, I agree.

Besides, why wouldn't Microsoft wanna keep up with the competition? I'd love to see Steam on the Xbox 360, and throw in Skype too.

Actually if you look at the game choices, it also shows "Left 4 Dead 360" and "Left 4 Dead 2 360" so I think this could be a little more than a goof!

Valve have released games on the xbox, so wouldn't it be fitting that they had support section for the Xbox?

I believe it is just wishful for the people who are drawing this conclusion.

Rubbish article as mentioned Valve have brought out games for the xbox such as the Orange box, Portal2 to name a couple so would seem right that they also allow support for such titles.

Back