Xiaomi challenges iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy Note 4 with new flagship phablet

Jos

Staff

xiaomi iphone note 13mp ois

Xiaomi, China's top smartphone vendor is known for creating stylish, Apple-like designs at more affordable prices. That has worked quite well so far in its swift upward trajectory. This time around the company is also taking a page from Samsung in naming its latest phablet flagships the Mi Note and Mi Note Pro.

Both devices are just 6.95mm-thick (0.15 mm thinner than the iPhone 6 Plus), feature a 5.7-inch display and come with high-end specs all around. 

The Mi Note starts at the relatively low price of 2299 yuan ($376) for a Snapdragon 801 processor, 3GB of RAM, a 3000 mAh battery and a 13-megapixel camera. Meanwhile, the Mi Note Pro ups the ante to  a Snapdragon 810 processor, 1440p display and 4GB of RAM for 3,299 yuan, or about $520. By comparison, Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus starts at 6088 yuan in the country.

xiaomi iphone note 13mp ois

The world’s third largest smartphone maker was also eager to emphasize the Mi Note has a Sharp-made display, a Sony-made camera, a Philips two-tone flash and a Sony or LG-made battery -- likely in an attempt to make sure people won’t equate its lower prices to cheap components.

Xiaomi doesn’t seem to be skimping on design either with a metal construction and a slightly curved glass front and rear. Moreover, CEO Lei Jun wasn’t afraid to take a few jabs at its rivals noting that the Mi Note doesn’t have a protruding rear camera like the Apple iPhone 6 Plus and Samsung Galaxy Note 4 despite being thinner and having Optical Image Stabilization.

The Mi Note is going on sale in China on January 27, while the Mi Note Pro doesn’t have a launch date yet. It’s unclear if the device will see a wider release as so far Xaiomi is yet to venture beyond Asian markets like China and India.

Permalink to story.

It has no pen support so it isn't a Note 4 competitor in any way, shape, or form! And lets be real.... It won't even sell 1% of what the iPhone 6/6 Plus sell.

That is one company that is begging to be sued their arse into bankruptcy, but I guess the Chinese wall is too high for the law outside to penetrate, so they continue living off the tit of others. What a disgrace!

"It has no pen support so it isn't a Note 4 competitor in any way, shape, or form! And lets be real.... It won't even sell 1% of what the iPhone 6/6 Plus sell."

What is the point of that statement?

That is one company that is begging to be sued their arse into bankruptcy, but I guess the Chinese wall is too high for the law outside to penetrate, so they continue living off the tit of others. What a disgrace!

How come?? There is no unique phone characteristic, they make cheap A class phones, why will they get sued?

How come?? There is no unique phone characteristic, they make cheap A class phones, why will they get sued?

They basically stole the brand name "Note" from Samsung.

So from now on lets call our notebook laptops, because "note" has already been used in a brand.... =P

iCrap!

Everything they produce is made of pieces stolen from others. Design - from Apple and HTC, name - from Samsung, etc. They make nothing original whatsoever, they live on creativity of others, like a parasite, copying others and selling for cheap.

Everything they produce is made of pieces stolen from others. Design - from Apple and HTC, name - from Samsung, etc. They make nothing original whatsoever, they live on creativity of others, like a parasite, copying others and selling for cheap.

Like all the rest coming from China... :)

In my ignorance I was mocking a friend who had bought a Xiaomi Mi4 phone, but after playing with it a little I was really impressed. It`s fast and has a nice build. I really hope they`ll expand their markets. Competition is always good.

I'm sorry but... your point should've been they take overpriced pieces of plastic garbage, and they actually make them better cheaper pieces that don't actually feel like overpriced garbage.

Who cares as long as the quality is good, the price is right and it has good support. I'm certainly not too proud to use a Xiaomi product even if I can't pronounce or even read their silly name.

Last edited:
"The world’s third largest smartphone maker.." so, it's not Huawei anymore? *confused*

"Note" itself is not a trademark, on the other hand "Galaxy Note" is a trademark. That being said, the Chinese company announced it as "Mi Note" which is different than galaxy. Same analogy MicroSoft and SquareSoft, does Soft represent a trademark? No.

No but the Galaxy Note is supposed to resemble a notepad to write notes in. There is no logical reason for Xiaomi to use the word note in their product unless they mean it to right notes with (no stylus) or they're basically named it similar to the galaxy note series for publicity

Given that Xiaomi steals features from iPhone and the Galaxy's, those companies too should teach Xiaomi a lesson by stealing its price tag.

Back