.XML

Ferreus

I recently copied some files (mostly Word documents and powerpoints) from my work computer onto a disc. To make sure they saved correctly, I had another person at work try opening the files on their computer. No issues. I'm now trying to open the disc on my computer and all the files show up as .xml and won't open. When I try to open them using the Windows XML editor, it says, "The XML page cannot be displayed. Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet."

I have no idea what all this means. Please help. Is there any way to convert the files back into word and powerpoint?

Just tried. It says "Cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents." The details says "Illegal qualified name character."

Are they .doc or .docx file extensions? Odd that it's failing for you, yet working on co-workers PC.

I can't remember if they were .doc or .docx; some were .ppt. My co-worker used Word, possibly 2010, but can't say for sure. I know I'm no help.

Didn't think you could open docx etc directly in an xml viewer... aren't they compressed formats? E.g. might be zipped?

Try copy the file, rename the extension to zip then extract the contents. Your XML editor will probably work fine on the contents.

What's odd is your description of what you did.
copied ....mostly Word documents and powerpoints... onto a disc. ....all the files show up as .xml and won't open.

So how come they are XML, and not DOC, DOCX, PPT and so forth? Explain how that could be and we probably have the answer. Could it be that you copied by using 'save as' and had the default 'save' - or actually chose - the format as XLM ?

So here's the background on the disc:
- I was given a disc with powerpoint and word files on it.
- I then burnt a copy of that disc
- I kept the copy (it worked fine on my work computer and my co-worker's computer) and gave the original to a friend

Now, when trying to open the files on my disc, they all show up as .xml.

I guess the default save could've been .xml, but I've never heard of, much less used, .xml files.

Back