XP Apache Upload Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCase

Hi,

I have Windows XP with apache installed. My internet speed is 5mb download and 400k upload, although when people are downloading from my server they are only getting 40k at the most. Is this an XP setting I need to change as I belive XP is not optimized with broadband, Im sure they should be getting atleast 100k

Any ideas? Thanks

It is common that Upload is 1/10 of Download for home ISP connections.

Unless you purchase a business level connection, Upload will never match Download
by design.

I know this, but even with an upload of 400k shouldnt people downloading from the server get a faster download speed than 40k?

Not what I am asking. I know my upload speed is differenet to my download speed, im saying when having an upload of 400k on a web server and people downloading files not me , they should have a faster download rate of 40k?

Not my download, their download.

yes -- consider the old adage; the chain is no stronger than the weakest link.

your upload is the weakest link in the chain, ergo they can only download at your upload speed :)

oops; guess I didn't read very carefully :blush:

My thought goes to ISP monitoring and control of bandwidth using QoS techniques
applied to port 80. In this manner, the ISP can enforce the EULA (common) restriction
of not running a server from a home user ISP license.

If this is true in your case, you could add Listen *:20080 to the Apache config
(restart it) and tell a user to try http://your-site:20080/
If the thruput runs well, then port 80 is being managed by the ISP.

TheCase said:
My upload speed is 400k but they are only geting 40k as their download, wheres the other 360k gone
Your upload speed is probably 400kbps (kilobits per second), while users are downloading at 40kBps (kilobytes per second)... they're pretty much the same value... It's as it should be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back