XP BSOD, stops booting at WDFLDR.SYS

borderfox

Machine: Dell Inspiron Mini 10
O.S. : Windows XP Home

When booted up, it goes to a Blue Screen of Death with the following error;

0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86B6A738, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000).

When booting via safe mode, it stops at this point => WDFLDR.SYS - then goes to BSOD. It doesn't matter which option whether safe mode with networking or safe mode with command prompt ultimately it goes to the same BSOD screen.

I don't have an xp disk for it - would have been pre-installed. No disk with recovery console on it (well, it would need to be a utility run via usb drive in any event as the mini doesn't have a cd-rom drive).

Question: Is there any utility that I can use to get this booted up?

I guess if I can simply get it booted up, I can use the system restore option or the like...?

Seem like a lot of people are having a similar issue around the Net without a fix... I would get my hands on an XP install disc and a external USB CD/DVD drive. If you could create a XP bootable flash drive, that would work too. I have both, because I work on Netbooks of all brands...

"WDFLDR.SYS"=Kernel Mode Driver Framework Loader

@Tmagic650: Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Tmagic650 said:
If you could create a XP bootable flash drive, that would work too.
Should it not be possible to download same from some crevice of the interweb?

"Should it not be possible to download same from some crevice of the interweb?"...

You can try

Ok, I've managed to create a bootable usb xp - booted up and into recovery console. When I try and run chkdsk command, I get this;

"AUTOCHK.EXE cannot be found in the specified location."

Confused as to where to go from here. Anyone any ideas?

Can you use this USB XP install device to load XP fresh? If not, the hard drive, SSD drive or the motherboard may be bad

Can you use this USB XP install device to load XP fresh? If not, the hard drive, SSD drive or the motherboard may be bad

I've only used the recovery console. I don't want to go with a fresh install - as some vital data that I need to access..

So try the XP Repair that I posted the instructions to. This should not over-write your data

So try the XP Repair that I posted the instructions to. This should not over-write your data
Tried that just now. When I get to the xp 'user agreement' - I try to press F8 to accept - but it seems to be frozen at that point.

(thanks for all your help by the way).

Back