XP hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocks911

I have an older machine running XP sp3. It hangs every once in a while but is becoming more frequent.
While working on the computer, or more accurately mostly while surfing the internet the screen will freeze, I'll hear an audible beep from the computer and my screen goes black and nothing but a hard reboot is possible.
As a matter of fact it just did it to me while writing this. The event viewer has zero information about the event. I initially thought that it might be my display but I dont think so because for a second or two before the screen goes blank the cursor id non responsive then whamo the screen goes blank.
Not sure how to proceed.
Help!

Have you checked for malware, viruses?
If you are sure no malware is running it could be a number of other issues. RAM or hard drive failure is possible.
Is it clear if dust in the vents fans and inside the case?
Boot up with a linux live cd and see if you get the same problem. Linux live cd uses the ram but does not write to the hdd at all.
Do a complete CHKDISK in windows and if any errors are found or if it freezes during the test it is likely this is causing the problem.

So I was listening to some MP3's on the puter and I selected a song to send to my playlist, moved the cursor to the song, right clicked and nothing. Usually a list of choices comes up when I right click but nothing, no response from right clicking. I think to my self "what the?" and right click again, nothing. Then the cursor freezes and a second later the screen goes blank. But the media player was still working, still playing music but I'm lloking at a black screen.

What the?

By the way I have a clean machine no bugs. I ran CHKDISK, no problems. Blew out any dust. Still behaving badly. Haven't had the opportunity to run Linux yet.

I'll hear an audible beep from the computer and my screen goes black
Possible video card overheating?
Desktop, or laptop?

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

p4377202.gif

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back