XP home starts to desktop with no icons or taskbar

While trying to to remove some malware/virus the computer hung while an antimalware program was quarantining and removing a single file, it hung up for over an hour. Computer froze. I powered down and restarted in safe mode, which immediately failed then restarted, I let it progress to the normal login which took ~5 min to get me to my desktop, no icons, no taskbar. Was able to get to task manager but when attempted to run explorer.exe manually or msconfig or regedit it just closes. The only thing I am able to perform from task manager is log off or restart the computer. I attempted windows repair from cd twice with no success, ran chkdsk from recovery console with no errors. Any ideas or help would be appreciated before I re install XP.

I attempted windows repair from cd twice with no success, ran chkdsk from recovery console with no errors.
What kind of Windows repair did you try? From the recovery console or Windows install setup?

I don't know if this might apply or not, but double check: Rt click on your Desktop->Arrange Icons By. Then make sure Show Desktop Icons is checked

Windows reinstall setup was attempted, and right clicking on desktop does nothing, the only thing that responds is cntl alt del. I was able to access my files using OTPLE, from there I may be able to fix my registry??

Back