XP operating system

Can not get rid of "Run As" pop up on XP

• I stopped the service but it still pops up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any response will do

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
On my XP operating system I suddenly started to get a pop up window "Run As" and I can not get rid of it. I have disabled it in secondary logon and stopped the service but it still pop us every time I log on.

Please tell me what it is that you disabled and the corresponding Service is.

Obviously something is set to start on boot. If it's a legitimate process you don't want to start on boot, it can be taken off the Startup Menu using the msconfig utility. if it doesn't need to start on boot.

RunAs>> Allows a user to run specific tools and programs with different permissions than the user's current logon provides.
------------------------
But if it belongs to a malware process or if malware damaged the file extensions or permissions, it will need to be handled differently.

Hi Bobbye, thank you for your reply. I clicked on My computer>manage>services & applications>services>secondary log on>Startup type>changed it from automatic to disabled>stopped the service and clicked OK. This was a suggestion from another user back in 2006 and it did to work for the person that posted the same question I did. Another suggestion is to get a "Comodo Registry Cleaner" and run it to fix the problem. Any thought on this?

Secondary Logon is used to support Switch Users (without a logoff-logon sequence) and is NOT producing the pop-up

"Please tell me what it is that you disabled and the corresponding Service is."

I found this: RunAsService> software download:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/runasservice/
with a link to the site for the program> http://runasservice.sourceforge.net/

Follow the link in the last line: The installation and configuration guide is described here.
If, at some point, you installed and used this program but no longer want to use it, you should be able to get enough information on how to change the Service back.

"Several available software applications may need to be started as a Windows service, but are not designed to do so. Therefore a Windows Service will be created that can start and stop these applications, as if they were a Windows Service themselves."

As for the Comodo Registry Cleaner, most of us don't recommend registry cleaners for anyone. The risk far outweights any small benefit you might get.

As for following an instructions given to a specific user to fix a specific problem 6 years ago, we don't advise this. "Same questions" are tricky because although a result may be the same, the cause may be different.

Thank you for your feedback, I am not a computer geek and it all looks a bit complicated to get rid of. Would I be able to get rid of it by running a system restore? That way I could have a fresh start. Or re installing the system software would be better option?

This might be easier to understand:

RunAs popup: Does the popup look like this?
125187-2407p132-2b.jpg

If it does, see this, read this:
At some point, the user that is logged on when this popup occurs set that process to run in protected mode. as a Service

The purpose of "Protect my computer' (the enlarged section of the image) is to safely launch a suspicious program or shortcut and stop the program(s) from changing Windows' Registry.

Is can be done as follows:
  • Right-click on the icon or program file you wish to execute
  • Select Run As
  • Select Current User for the credentials to use
  • Check the box next to Protect My Computer And Data From Unauthorized Program Activity
    ======================================
    You need to verify the user as correct and decide if you know the program is safe and remove the protected mode.

If you verify the above, do a right click on the program and uncheck the Protect my computer
    ======================================
    Regarding doing a System Restore:
    This would only be effective for THIS process for this user if the restore point used was set BEFORE you before the process was set to RunAs

Regarding doing a reinstall:
    My thoughts on this is that it should only be done as a last resort- not because a user can't troubleshoot. You run risks when you reinstall.

Back