XP or 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

techster

I have an older laptop with a 2GHz Pentium M proc. and 2GB mem. Will Windows 7 run better or worse than XP on my laptop? Thanks

:haha: Kitty means both !. It will run worse, but look better....or vice versa :confused: Like I was told when I asked an expert about upgrading from vfp7 to vfp9 'some of your problems with vfp7 will go away, but vfp will bring it's own new collection of problems'. he was right, but in the main, it was a gain.

Generally it will be on par, technically it would be prudent to ditch the old OS for new one, if, the machine is good enough. In your case, my first assertion will be pretty much what you will get, but with one caveat you may see your battery life deteriorate from what it is under xp.

I think that since you got a pretty good gear then you should run win 7 its cooler and your computer wont lag anymore than it would on XP.. atleast not by much im using a 2Ghz processor with a 1gb of ram and im using win 7...(I pretty much ahve to since my graphic card aint compatible with the XP 32 bit version <.< and 64 bit just lags as hell! xD) but I recommend win 7

I am in a somewhat similar situation to yours. I added a good quality SSD and Win 7 was a little faster than XP. Now that's saying a lot for an older 2GB RAM 2GHz T7200 processor with X1400 HyperMemory ATI Video.

Now, don't get me wrong - you're not going to be able to render, you might not get Aero features, etc. But a good SSD with a decent cache/controller mechanism was like night and day for me. And since Win 7 aligns an SSD you won't have stuttering issues.

I'm running Win7 on my netbook which has a 1.6Ghz Intel Atom processor and 2Gb of DDR2 RAM and Win 7 runs just fine. The effects are nice and smooth. HOWEVER, applications constantly freeze up for 1 or 2 seconds, but it usually doesn't bother me. I'm sure if I disabled Aero Effects I might not have these issues...I just like it too much. And do check out the link to the upgrade adviser that gbhall gave you (post number 5).

MY netbook ranks a 2 out of 7 on the Windows Experience Index, but Win7 is still proving to be much faster than the XP partition I have on my netbook. My only issue is that Skype and Win7 aren't liking each other. I'm sure it works for others, but for me it's screwy.

Kitty - I'm not 100% sure - It's supposed to - but I still use Diskpart and manually set an offset of 128 to make sure. Then I install Win 7. But Win 7 should detect an SSD and should align accordingly. I've always understood stutter to be caused almost exclusively by alignment, although I do have an old Gen 1 JMicron-controlled SSD on a Vista system, and it stutters about 5% as much as a Gen 2 drive with 64MB RAM cache, unaligned, on XP Pro. So at least in my experience you are correct about using the term exclusively. It can still happen. It virtually NEVER happens on my Vertex Win 7 system, and I've NEVER had it happen on a Corsair P64 Samsung-controller based system on another Win 7 computer, and that one was a direct clone of an XP system, so I'm about 99% sure it is NOT aligned correctly. I was in a pinch and had to just port the image over and I've never clean installed the P64.

I've always understood drive geometry alignment as the primary cause of stutter. I aligned an old SLC Gen 1 drive on XP Pro on a SuperMicro board from offset 63 to offset 64 using diskpar (NOT diskpart on XP systems). You never saw a system fly so fast, and that SLC drive had zero onboard cache.

Just FWIW's and of course your actual mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back