XP pro sp3 disc installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I have tried to install a new xp pro sp3 disc on a new computer but have been getting errors in the installation. I have tried 3 different times but it says that the disc is missing some components and when it is final it does not work properly. I talked to microsoft but they are of no help. I finally talked to a tech person that asked me if I had another disc and I have an older sp2 disc. He said to install that but when I put in the key for my new disc it does not work with my older disc. I finally put in my old key and it worked fine. THe installation went off without a hitch but I won't be able to use my old key when I activate it. When I install the sp3 download will I be able to change my key to the new disc key? Can someone help me here? I have never had this problem before.

Well here's Xp SP3, just for info: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsxp/sp3/default.mspx

But your issue is much more serious
Sadly Xp comes in many revisions and OEM and obviously even Home and Pro, and 32bit and 64bit.

The concern is, that you have repaired Windows (effectively replacing it) with the actual Xp Disc (Xp SP2) you have used.

You are wisest to locate the Disc (XpSp1?? maybe) that will take your actual key
Then do the activation, and then the SP after that.

Can you locate the actual original (or exact) Xp disc that your key corresponds to?
The COA sticker may help in knowing which version of Xp disc you require.
Is there any information on this sticker? That you can see?

I will explain it a little better.
I tried installing xp pro sp3 3 times and each time there was a problem.
I now used my older sp2 disc and it installed fine. The problem was I used the sp3 key and it would not accept it.
Next I tried the key that came with the disc for the older sp2 disc and it accepted it.
What can I do now?
Go in and update to sp3? What about activation? This key is already being used.
Can I change it after the update to sp3 to the new and unused key?

I understood you fully before as well. But thanks for doubling up

I have tried to answer you to the best of my ability above (Please read it again)

But to answer your question, Should I continue SP3 -> No, because you must activate before installing SP3 (of which you cannot)

You need to answer the above questions in my first reply to you.

Or maybe I'm confused :confused:

You did use the original CD that corresponds to your key?
SP3 does not need a new key

I did use the key that corresponded to the sp3 disc which worked but the disc is corrupted.
I did use the key that corresponded to the sp2 disc which again worked but now I have to install the sp3.
The tech gave me a site to download and I have it downloaded on my flash drive ready to install. Why would I need to activate first. It will let me without.
I need to use the new key because the older one is already being used. Can I install the sp3 and then change my key to the new one now that it is sp3?

The problem was I used the sp3 key and it would not accept it.

Dont understand that at all. Service packs do not have keys, the Operating system does. The problems you report dont suggest anything much except a complete mis-match between the original XP version and SP3. In other words, is your XP SP3 illegal? Or some way-out OEM version? If the latter, it is the PC manufacturer you must turn to for advice, and please note, certain HP PC's would always crash on installing SP3 and HP have issued a patch to be applied before trying to install SP3. Here is the news http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-and-Notebooks/HP-Fixing-XP-SP3-Problems/ It may not be specific to HP, it involves silly OEMs using an Intel-based image of an XP install to load on AMD-processor PC's.

No, just read your specs, you have an Intel processor, and probably not an OEM install CD, and when you talk about having a key for SP3, you must be referring to a full install CD at the SP3 patch level. NOW, MS have never, and will never, produce such a CD themselves. The only legit install CD's have SP2 patch level. therefore you are using some weird install disc with SP3 slipstreamed into it. And it is quite possibly based on an illegal copy of some sort, such as an OEM version.

Your solution is simple. use a legit SP2-level full install - I think you have done that. Register it. A download of SP3 will install and will not ask for a further registration. This SP3 install-CD-with-a-key you are talking about is a beer mat. Am I right?

Newegg is selling XP CDs with it already on the disc.

But it is not an official MS thing is it, and the very page you link to has a customer report on it saying he could not use the key.........

The newegg product is very clearly a gamble or rip-off and I'm surprised they get away with it....so far.

Ingebordot should just install regular SP2, register it, then run the SP3 update like the rest of us.

Newegg isn't the only outlet that sells legitimate Windows XP versions with SP3. There's nothing illegal about them. They are full Windows XP SP3 CDs with COAs. I have three copies of OEM XP Home SP3 myself (for future builds). This not to be confused with downloaded or cd versions of SP3 only (just the service pack).

gbhall, why are you so certain MS wouldn't make them? Do a search. They're available in the UK as well.

Anyway, back to Ingebordot's problem. Since the XP SP2 copy is already in use in another PC, you won't be able to legitimately activate it as you already realize. Besides, you've already bought this XP Pro SP3 copy. Try cleaning the CD with a gentle, lintless material. There may have been something like fingerprints or grease that might have interfered with copying some of the files. If that doesn't work, you can return the XP Pro SP3 CD as defective.

When I called microsoft they asked what disc it was and asked where I got it. They never said there was not a disc for this or said anything about newegg. They actually tried to help me solve the problem. They are the ones that said to use an sp2 disc and then use an sp3 update to see if that worked.

Even if the disc is corrupted some how? What will the repair do? I have already installed the disc with sp2. Installed the sp3 update to it.

If you Repair (following the guide step by step)
And use the Windows CD and Key that belong together
Then it will work. !

That is all

Update after that ! (ie SP3 itself, is free)

Well, I just cleaned off the disc like stated. It is perfectly clean, did it real lightly. It didn't and still doesn't have any marks on it at all. The problem now is that it blue screened me. The disc is going back today.

It is a raid 1. It will have office info that is very, very vital. It will have an external hd for backup purposes also. Every bit of prevention is important. I know you won't try and tell me that raid 1 does not offer more added security. It is not foolproof I know but it is still better than a single drive.

ok, we'll hear back when you get the replacement? Or is that it, the disc is going back and then nothing?

Anyway the Windows XpSP2 will do, just update online to Service Pack 3

:confused:

I just want to be totally utterly clear here (and I note, that this was my original confusion as well)

Install Windows Xp SP2 (Or have an existing, Windows Xp SP2 working)
Then go to Windows Update ie here: http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx
Then freely update to SP3
Giving you Windows Xp SP3 (fully)

Please be aware that all Service Packs are free

Some users can purchase Windows Xp with key (that comes with a key -> for Windows Xp)
You would only do this, if you did not own Windows Xp (any service pack!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back