XP Pro SP3

Hi all. Hope someone can help me with this? I need to do an xp repair install but have to uninstall sp3 cos my original disc is only sp2. My prob is this: Where on earth does sp3 install itself? I'v tried the normal 3 methods to uninstall it:-

Use the "Add or Remove Programs" item in Control Panel, it does not appear here, not even with the updates box checked
Use the hidden $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder. Get message saying, ''Cannot find folder''.
Use the System Restore process. Cannot use this method as sys restore does not go back far enough.
Yes, sp3 is DEFINITLY installed.
Many thanks to anyone who can assist, Whitedog.

If you ran Disk Cleanup, the files needed to un-install SP3 may have been removed. You may have no option other than a clean install, unless you can find XP SP3 disk..

Hi again.

Thank you for your reply. I am not aware that I have used the windows XP 'Disc Cleanup' utility which comes pre -installed with xp pro. I have however used the 'Drive Wiper' facility which come as part of the free version of C Cleaner.

According to this program it will, surprisingly, only clean the free space. Whilst I fully appreciate that one does not wish to lose all of ones data, this does, nonetheless, seem a little odd to me, as what is the objective of cleaning 'space' if there is nothing there to begin with?

Anyway, I digress. Could this have somehow lost the files for sp3 uninstallation? Personally, I think not?

Alternatively, would my re-installing SP3 replace these missing files or would I just cause more problems?

Kind regards, Whitedog.

What exactly is wrong with the computer as it's working now? I mention this because my last reinstallation of Windows was a major mistake. The problem was down to hardware. It took me that much longer to pin down and then sort everything out. I'd recommend caution. Back up your data.

Back